Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1247 Discussions

BIOS Update over Windows Updates causes Dell Laptop to freeze on Dell logo

JCR
Beginner

Hi Forum,

It took my attention that three of the Dell Clients in the company experienced the same behaviour after a BIOS Update came through the Windows Update Tool.  Before the BIOS was updated a couple of Intel updates were installed therefore I express my concern here.
The shown behaviour is that after the installation, the equipments most be reboot  and by booting up they remain on "loading" at the initial Dell Logo, after that windows can't be booted anymore but only on safe mode. After a Systemrepair performed in the safe mode I was able to boot up windows  again (not always) but after a reboot of the system the problem was there again.

The updated laptops are all different models: Latitude 5431,   Latitude 5420 and a Inspiron 7706 2n1. From those Notebooks only the Latitutde 5431 was connected to the dockingstation.

It's also important to remark, that the updates were received between the first and the second week of februeary and that by other equipments the update was installed without problem.

Do you have any hint about a known problem or a way to isolate better the issue?

Best regards!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The BIOS for your Dell machines comes from Dell.  Windows updates come from Microsoft.

The Dell bios updates should have been optional (via Windows Update) and, if so, you should have installed them separately.

Better yet, go to the dell support site for your machine and update the bios from there.

I think trying to tie the problem to an intel update is a bit premature.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
JCR
Beginner

To link this issue to an intel update was, as you suggested, my last resource but this post got my attention since a INTEL moderator states that they have been sending critical BIOS updates over windows (Wich was what was installed before the Laptops bricked up).  community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Windows-Update-Automatic-Bios-Update/m-p/1284659#M83459

I'm just trying to figure out, if actually was an isolated issue or if there's more behind this behaviour 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But the bios is created by dell and owned by dell, not Intel.   Yes, dell bios updates can be delivered by Windows update, which is a problem that dell and microsoft have to resolve.   Personally, I would never allow a bios update from windows update.  And, if the bios is critical, all the more important that you manage it.   As I said, a dell bios delivered by Windows Update should have been optional.  Was it not?  If it was not, then you need to be complaining loudly to dell and microsoft.   If it was optional, then your install procedure needs attention.   And, do not try to derive anything from a NUC bios update.

If your bios needs updating, update it yourself, manually, and use the dell tool to manage your updates.  I have a dell laptop and I manage the bios updates, if needed, myself.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @JCR:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You should address as a reference your consultations related to the products manufactured by the cited third-party company using the options listed on the following website:

https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/de-de/contactus/dynamic?lwp=rt

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos