Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Different clock speeds

BHeal2
Beginner

Hi, we have motherboards with the i7-6822EQ Processor. PCBs are from the same fab/build, BIOS settings are identical, load is the same (either idle or running furmark) yet the CPU clock speeds are very different from each other. What is the reason for this? We are very concerned about heat in this design so we are trying to limit power consumption. We want to understand what is causing the difference.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do your PCBs all have the same errata/corrections? All the exact same memory? All the exact same storage? All the exact same drivers and OS build with the exact same updates and configuration?

Pointing at the processor is premature.

Doc

0 Kudos
BHeal2
Beginner

Thanks for your response Doc. I really appreciate the help. The windows images are clones of each other on the exact same SSDs. At first some of the memory was different but I switched it around and the fast clocks stayed with the processor. Now the memory is the same with the same results (different clock speeds). I'm not trying to point at the processor, I'm just trying to understand the issue. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-Brian

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello BHeal2

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Since this inquiry is regarding an embedded processor Intel® Core™ i7-6822EQ Processor, we have moved this thread to the "Embedded Intel® Core" forum in order to provide specific assistance and improve search results on the community.

Since you mentioned this is also regarding custom design, you may also post your inquiries in our Resource & Design Center:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @BHeal2​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please clarify if this situation happens on your design or a third- party design? 

In case that it is a third-party device, could you please inform the name of the manufacturer, its model, the part number, and where its documentation is stated?

On the other hand, could you please let us know how many units of the project related to this circumstance have been manufactured? How many are affected? Could you please give the failure rate? Also, could you please list the sources that you have used to design it and if it has been verified by Intel? Could you please let us the procedure that you have followed to determine this issue?

Could you please give pictures of the top side markings of the affected processors?

We are waiting for your reply to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos