Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Driver for OV5648 camera

SMora6
Novice

Dear everybody,

we are customizing Win8.1 tablets with a OV5648 camera in a custom box. The original OS has a camera driver by Intel.

Since in the new box the camera will be rotated from the original, I'm wondering if there is a setting (by the driver) to set the camera chip to generate by default a rotated (180 degrees) image.

Or other solution ..

Thanks, regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello SteMMo,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand your request, could you please clarify us if the mentioned camera is the stated at the http://www.ovt.com/products/sensor.php?id=178 OmniVision web site?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
SMora6
Novice

Carlos,

yes, i guess this is the camera cause i'm trusting in what the Device Manager reports.

Regards

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello SteMMo,

Thanks for your reply.

We would like to help you, but you need to contact the manufacturer of your camera to receive the further help because they have all the information related to their products. Also, to receive the further drivers, because they have modified the devices where the video, audio, or other features are generated.

In order to help you, as a reference please address your problem to the following web site:

http://www.ovt.com/support/tech.php OmniVision

Please keep in mind that the proper drivers and support are provided by the manufacturer of your device.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
SMora6
Novice

Carlos,

thanks for your reply.

Of course I wrote to the Tech support of Omnivision but nobody replied me .

I'll retry ...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello SteMMo

Could you please provide more details about the hardware of your tablet?

It was using a Bay Trail T or other type of processor?

The tablet was manufactured by you or by a third party company?

Where did you obtain the drivers for your original deployment?

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

0 Kudos
SMora6
Novice

AdolfoS hello,

It was using a Bay Trail T or other type of processor?

The tablet is based on Intel 64 Z8300 (as reported on the label on the original box..)

The tablet was manufactured by you or by a third party company?

The tablet is manufactured by Teclast - it is a X98 Plus model unboxed.

Where did you obtain the drivers for your original deployment?

The drivers are included in the original OS and signed by Intel.

Regards

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello SteMMo

I apologize for the delay.

I have been searching on the available documentation but so far, I have not found any setting that could be used to rotate the output image.

Due to the fact that you are modifying a third party product, that was purchased from other manufacturer it is unlikely that the Intel Engineers will create a custom driver for your need.

I think you will need to solve this by taking the output of the camera and manipulating it by software, however I'm not a software developer so I'm not 100% about how to do this.

You could try consulting on the following forum: https://software.intel.com/en-us/ Intel® Developer Zone

Or any other software developers that you feel that could help.

What I can do for you is try to contact the Intel developers of the driver to figure out if there is an API or some sort of document that you can consult. However I can't commit to a quick answer for this.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello SteMMo

I received feedback from the Engineering team, unfortunately there is no API for the specific driver that your tablet is using. They have not developed a driver for that specific camera, so their recommendation is to contact the developer for modifications on the driver.

The other option that you could consider is using a programming language to set up a fake camera interface, it will read the input for the camera, rotate it and sen the streams to any other app that might require it.

I apologize for not being able to provide more information.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

SMora6
Novice

Hello AdolfoS,

thanks a lot for your attention and your interest

Now I'll discuss with the team how to continue the project.

Thanks a lot,

regards