Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

Lanconf NVM Image Firmware version

MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi

Could you please explain the difference between the

Firmware Version and the NVM Version (ETRACK) fields in the NVM Image section of lanconf.

The reason I am asking is I just updated an i210 device with the latest Production image Dev_Start_I210_Copper_NOMNG_4Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.hex using eeupdate64e.efi.

After a power cycle using lanconf the NVM Version updated to 3.25 as expected but the Firmware version was not updated from 0.9 to 1.7 as I would have expected.

Is there anothe file I need to program into the i210 to update the firmware.

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hello AdolfoS

Yes I had read the section but re-reading it occoured to me changing the validity field might do what I needed.

Just tried it and it works. I can now blank the FLASH and re-program the latest firmware into the device.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, markjeff:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you is stated in the answers to questions 2.10, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.19, 2.23, 2.31, 2.33, and 2.38; on pages 7, 8, 9, 11, and 12 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 / I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos

Went throught the FAQ and tried again.

Havin a littl more sucess but still gettin a problem.

Using Lanconf if I go to update the NVM image Dev_Start_I210_Copper_NOMNG_4Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin

I get the following.

Readin through the releas notes for 3.25 it mentioned that upgrading from 3.11 needed a transitional image.

So I tried Transition_from_3.11_4Mb.bin whith the same results as above which I was not too surprised about as

the current cersion in the i210 is 2.71.

Is there a transition image from 2.71 to 3.11 or 3.25 that I could use or how should I go about updateing to the latest firmware

from version 2.71.

TIA

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, markjeff:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your previous communication, could you please confirm us that you have tried to disable security by pulling down the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 pin 12 to solve this inconvenience? In case that you ignore the answer, please try it and let us know the outputs of this suggestion. You can verify this information and more details in the answer to the question 2.23, on page 9 of the listed FAQs document.

Waiting for your update.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos

Yes I have worked out that it is the security. Adding a 3K3 pull down resistor on pin 12 to the boards in our lab fixed the issue and we were able to update the FLASH.

However we have units in the field without the pull down resistor. is there any way to bypass the security feature so as we can update the units in the field without the pull down resistor.

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, markjeff,

Have you read the sectio 3.3.1.2 Flash Detection, NVM Validity Field, and Non-Secure Mode, of the I210 datasheet? It contains information about how to enter non-secure mode of the I210 device.

Best regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hello AdolfoS

Yes I had read the section but re-reading it occoured to me changing the validity field might do what I needed.

Just tried it and it works. I can now blank the FLASH and re-program the latest firmware into the device.

Thanks for your help.

CHarr
Novice

Hi markjeff,

How did you change the validity field? I am not able to change it with lanconf (e.g. lanconfw64e).

This field (flash word offset 0x12, bits 15:14) is marked as "RO word" in Table 6-1 of the i210 data sheet, which I thought means "Read Only" in this context?

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi h241x.

I created an .eep file modified word 0x012 to 0040.

Used eeupdate to program the FLASH. after power cycle the i210 should read as a blank device.

0 Kudos