Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Sound driver

PJosh1
Beginner

Hello. I need an Ubuntu driver for my laptop's audio device which is manufactured by Intel. Here is the output of "lspci -nn" command:

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller [8086:9ca0] (rev 03)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Prakhar,

Welcome to the Intel Embedded Community,

We are checking for the appropriate driver for your laptop, we will contact you soon.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Ubuntu_User

The hardware that you are showing in your post should already be using the open source Intel audio driver called snd_hda_intel.

Please provide the following information to us:

1) The output of the command lspci -nnk, specially the lines Kernel driver in use and Kernel module for the audio device.

2) The output of the command lsmod

3) Please tell us the model of the laptop you are using.

If possible send the output of the commands as .txt attachment

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Prakhar,

We would like to know if you still having issues with the sound driver?

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
PJosh1
Beginner

Actually, yes! I hope Ubuntu's updates fix the problem. But this problem lies in all Linux operating systems which I have tried on this laptop. Operating systems include Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu 15.04, Fedora 22, CentOS 7. All the linux distributions use the open source driver called snd_hda_intel altough the codec is Realtek ALC3227. I think that there is something wrong in this driver (snd_hda_intel). Maybe this driver is not properly designed for Realtek codecs. Mainly Realtek ALC3227 which my laptop is using.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Ubuntu_User

Please try using the linux HDA audio drivers from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false# High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs Realtek, if that doesn't work please file a bug report with the audio developers following the instructions of this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems DebuggingSoundProblems - Ubuntu Wiki

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
PJosh1
Beginner

I tried to install the Linux HDA drivers from Realtek's website many times even before starting this thread but every time it used to result in no sound at all! I later read the readme file carefully and discovered that Realtek-ALC3227 was not mentioned in the list of codecs supported by that driver. Yes, I tried to file a bug report, but it was very confusing. Also, I think that filing Ubuntu bug report isn't going to help because the same problem exists in all linux systems. I installed Fedora 22 which uses a very new kernel version but sill sound was low. It is snd_hda_intel which needs an update or maybe a new driver.

0 Kudos
PJosh1
Beginner

After doing a lot of Google searches, I have found something constructive and here my codec is mentioned! namely Realtek ALC3227. What should I do with this coding? Here is a link of the Driver I have found: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c linux/patch_realtek.c at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Ubuntu_User

It is unfortunate that the Realtek driver is not suitable to your specific hardware.

Regarding your doubts about the bug report I would like to clarify that the link I sent you is not to file a bug report with Ubuntu, but with the ALSA development team.

The Linux sound stack is not straightforward your issue could be related with the codecs, with the ALSA server or with the snd_hda_intel core driver, but most of the time the problems related with poor sound quality are related with codecs so the right way is to go to ALSA

In general to make a change on an open source driver will require a bug report so driver developers and other enthusiast members of the Open Source Community are aware of the failure and start working on solving the problems.

I'm also communicating with some of the original developers of the Intel HDA Audio driver, to see if they can suggest another support path to make the community aware of the issue, but meanwhile it is recommended that you file a bug report.

Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

0 Kudos