Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

User Guide for RVP15 (DDR4) Skylake-U Custom Reference Board need

NBodu1
Novice

Hello

Is it planned to issue User Guide for RVP15 CRB (# 557360, # 557702), like User Guide (# 551707) for both RVP5 and RVP7 CRB's? I wasn't able to find UG for RVP15 on Tigris.

Or RVP15 doesn't work yet, so it doesn't have corresponding user guide?

Best regards,

Nikolay

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello DarkTiger,

From a design perspective, using the schematic and the layout files for the RVP15 you should be able to complete the system design.

I raised this question to the IOTG division, and currently there are no plans to release an user guide for RVP15.

Hope this information helps, please let us know if you need something else from our side.

Best regards,

Jimmy Manley.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello DarkTiger,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please let us know the reasons to request this kind of document?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
NBodu1
Novice

Hello Carlos

I need to choose if I should use DDR3 or DDR4 for system memory in our device.

From one side, RVP5 and and RVP7 CRBs, based on DDR3, are well-documented.

From the other side, DDR4 is very suitable for our application, because target application does a lot of sequential read-write memory data transfers (4K video processing). Moreover, we save more power in case of DDR4. And next Intel CPU generation will use DDR4 at any case.

That way, I'd like to know if Users Guide for CRB RVP15 is already exists. If yes - I choose RVP15 with DDR4. If not - I choose RVP7, to save a lot of design efforts (UG for RVP5,7 is really useful document).

I could ask our local FAE, but, as soon as the document is not being uploaded on Intel site, FAE will have to ask central office anyway. It's faster to ask directly. Hope I have not violated any rules.

Best regards,

Nikolay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DarkTiger,

From a design perspective, using the schematic and the layout files for the RVP15 you should be able to complete the system design.

I raised this question to the IOTG division, and currently there are no plans to release an user guide for RVP15.

Hope this information helps, please let us know if you need something else from our side.

Best regards,

Jimmy Manley.

0 Kudos
NBodu1
Novice

Hello Jimmy

Thank you for your answer. Yes, we will able to complete the design anyway. However, having the guide would save us several working days, at least.

Could you ask IOTG about two more things:

1. Is RVP15 closer to RVP5 or RVP7?

2. Is the difference RVP15 from RVP5 (or RVP7) only in memory type and corresponding circuits(and component numbering, of course), or there are a lot of other differences?

It's not easy to manually compare and analyze two large schematics, RVP5 and RVP15. It's simpler just to ask developers

With best regards,

Nikolay Bodunov

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DarkTiger,

1. It is closer to RVP7 as it uses SODIMM though as you know it is ddr4. It can be said that RVP15 = RVP7+ddr4.

2.Main difference is memory (Memory down for RVP5 and SODIMM for RVP7) as can be seen in the users guide that covers both crbs. This difference implies a different layout and components which are significant to take into account for the design process. Thus we recommend checking both schematics if you would like get into detail with the main differences.

Best regards,

Jimmy Manley

NBodu1
Novice

Thank you, Jimmy! Good answer!

With best regards,

Nikolay Bodunov

0 Kudos