Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

82567LM keeps showing disconnect in event log

idata
Employee

I just purchased 4 Dell Optiplex 960 computers with WIndows 7 x64. I am having this issue on all 4 machines. Intermittently the computer disconnects from the network and also at times it will show that it is a 10mb connection. I updated the drivers to 11.5.10 dated 12/10/2009. The error in the event log is source: e1kexpress Event ID 27 "Network link has been disconnected." The workstations all connect to a Dell switch.

I spoke to Dell and they have no clue.

Help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
122 Replies
idata
Employee

This case is still open for us.

We did turn off AMT on all Optiplex 780's and 960's which mostly fixed the problem of intermittent connectivity on resume from S3. There was a BIOS update for Optiplex 980's (A02) that fixed the same problem (symptoms, to be more accurate), but none of the BIOS updates for the 960 helped.

We kept the case open with Dell and they have repro'ed the problem and have esclated it to an engineering group.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In reply to Edu.DesktopSupport

Greetings --- when we were having the issue (on Optiplex 960s), we would see the following in the event log:

Event Log: system

Type: Warning

Source: e1kexpress

Category:

Event: 27

Message: Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection Network link has been disconnected.

And then typically -- 3 seconds later -- it would reconnect a some speed.

When I applied the latest 11.6.92.0 driver (direct from the Intel site), our issues cleared up.

Other differences in our environment is that these machines were all Win7 Pro 32bit.

I know I am not being much help, but at least Dell does now seem aware of the issue.

Good luck!

John K

idata
Employee

Any update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dell tells me Intel is still working on it (a BIOS/AMT change).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

I have read through this thread with the same frustration and issues that others have had with this specific NIC.

We have two 760's exhibiting the same behavior...I was curious if anyone has tried this latest driver from Intel, 16.4?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717&keyword=%2282567lm%22&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717&keyword=%2282567lm%22&lang=eng

I will install this later today and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can somebody update please on this issue?

I've been having same issue for long time and no reolsuion yet.

Does driver version 16.4 solve the problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dell called me Thursday (10/13/11) to ask if I'd be in the office the next couple weeks so they can set up a conference call with them and Intel on our case with the Optiplex 960's. Note that in this particular case, if we disable MEBx/AMT the problem goes away, and we are only complaining about one disconnect/reconnect after connect after resume from S3 with MEBx/AMT enabled. The A02 BIOS for the 980 resovled the problem more than a year ago so we'd mostly like to know why that version of MEBx can't be put into a 960 BIOS update or what exactly is going on.

The most recent Dell driver (Win 7 32-bit) does not change the situation.

If you are still having intermittent connectivity on Optiplex 960s after disabling MEBx/AMT, then that is different than what we are seeing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I may be pushing progress backwards with this reply but my disconnect problem was resolved almost a year ago. There was a theory going back then that it had to do with power management. As I recall, the 82567LM-3 driver shipped with my Dell Optiplex 780 / Windows 7/64 had limited control of power management options. The previous version, 10.5.1.0, dated 10/21/2008 did. I rolled back to that drver and haven't had a disconnect since. "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks all for your replies.

Wayne, I had issues with the latest driver (11.6.92.0) and the older one (11.5.10.0), but I never tried the one you recommended (10.5.1.0).

I couldn't find this driver for Windows7 32bit, can you please send me a link where I can download it and give it a try.. thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same problem as original. I have only two computers running 7 Pro connected to a domain running server 08. Anytime I try to transfer any files I and constantly getting disconnected and then reconnected 1 or 2 seconds later. The logs are showing a diconnect every 5 seconds then a reconnect 1 second later.

Baffled, tried most of the suggestions here with no luck. Strange thing is that two days ago everything was working fine.... nothing changed, no updates, no new software, nothing.... it just started out of no where.

Any help would be great.

My nic is the 82578DM.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My machine shipped with 11.0.41.250 which apparently was upated by installing Dell R234067 at the factory. I believe that I clicked on "Roll Back Driver" and 10.5.1.0 appeared. It works perfectly with Windows 7 Professional, 64bit.

Since the driver versions you listed are newer than what I started out with, you my not be able to roll back to 10.5.1.0 as I did. Hopefully you can find it somewhere. I would image the machine first just in case.

Version 11.0.41.250 was disconnecting constantly. Accessing the network caused the "connecting" animation to appear over the network Icon in the tray. After 5 seconds or so it was good to go until the next time usually after a period of inactivity, thus the power management theory.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem as the original on a similar intel device

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network ConnectionNetwork link is disconnected.

Event ID: 27

Source: e1cexpress

Windows 7 64-bit

Asus P8Z68V-PRO

The issue happens consistently every 5/10 minutes.

It is not just a cosmetic problem as a warning showing up on the event log. The networks actually gets dropped for a couple seconds and then is restablished.

R. Lynx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A number of my Dell 980's with 82578DM keeps losing their IP and not able to get one back. Sometimes a restart will, but the tech's have had to remove from domain and then rejoin. (I KNOW.. it does not make sense to me, but it works and they do it to be able to move on)

I did have one try a pxe boot before removing from domain and it did pull an IP. allowed to boot to windows.. no ip. remove and rejoin, IP.

Installed driver ver. 11.13.51.0 dated 7/20/2011 for the 82578DM on a couple of machines last week and with a recent # %$$ storm, those 2 machines didn't show up on the list as problems and have been quiet since install of newer driver.

Dell.com had a driver dated 12/2010. get the 7/20/2011 from intel.com

all win7x64 machines deployed via SCCM, so they are identical machines/GPO/subnet/etc. on a stable network mixed in with different models that are NOT experiencing this issue. Does not seem like they got the driver correct yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After installing Intel PROSet; there is a default setting on the Power Saving Tab to 'reduce link speed' when idle. Disabling this setting may improve this issue of the NIC disconnecting and reconnecting at a lower link speeds.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello to all,

are there any news about this problem? With our Dell Optiplex GX980, GX960, Latitude E4310 we have the

same problems - networks drops about 10 - 15 times in one minute - afterwards Exchange 2010 locks the mailbox for one hour....

Intel and Dell have no idea......

thanks,

manfred

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After trying over 20 different versions of the Pro1000 drivers for a Dell Optiplex 755 that has a Pro1000 integrated 82566DM-2 chip - I found one that works and does not drop the connection and provides full throughput. I uninstalled it from the Device Manager and then scanned for changes, then updated the driver manually by selecting the folder for my OS using the driver set below:

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/desktop/veriton_m670/winxp/ ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/desktop/veriton_m670/winxp/ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/desktop/veriton_m670/winxp/LAN_Intel_GigaLan_82567LM_10.3.39.0_XPx86.zip LAN_Intel_GigaLan_82567LM_10.3.39.0_XPx86.zip

This is from the v13.1 6-17-08 release - it includes support for Pro1000 cards up to 82574L, 82567, 82567LF-3, 82567LM-3, 82567LM-4

Whomever knowingly looked the other way while folks were forced to purchase new operating systems or even computers because of this problem should be voted out of directorship of Intel or terminated.. This is no way to sell products or build a reputation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thank you, unfortunately this drivers does not work for my device (82578DM). Is there any solution or idea for this device? Is there no Intel employee who can give us a answer?????????????

0 Kudos
DMart16
Beginner

I'd like to add my two cents to this. Here it is 2014 and I have been troubleshooting this issue on brand new Dell PC's we recently received. The new PC's all came with 82579LM adapters. I started getting most of the same issues reported in this thread and further more, on reboot or power on, if you logged in immediately after seeing the log in screen network connectivity would fail, with all sorts of errors in the event logs, mostly dealing with no DNS servers or Domain Controllers or Domains found, plus a slew of GPO and Profile errors because we use roaming profiles and folder redirection here. To be fair, I did have an older Dell PC here that displayed the same issues on boot up or reboot and it has a Broadcom adapter. There were basically 3 solutions that worked for me in resolving this issue.

1. For the intermittent drop from the network thru-out the day, I had to disable power management on both the Intel and the Broadcom, although the Broadcom never had issues of dropping the connection intermittent during the day it did suffer network issues coming out of sleep mode. Disabling power management fixed this issue.

2. For the Intel and Broadcom adapters, I had to configure spanning-tree portfast edge on each port for these PC's on my Cisco 6509 switch.

3. On the Intel adapters I downloaded and installed the most recent drivers, for me it is release 18.8, dated: 8/21/2013 and Version: 12.10.28.0. I had to turn on Wait for Link on the advanced tab of the NIC driver properties/configuration settings, Auto detect and Off did not work for me.

Once I did these things all seems well for about 2 weeks now. I'll update if in the near future this fails for me.

0 Kudos