Ethernet Products
Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
3708 Discussions

82599EB 10Gb SFP+ NIC Problem

JArch4
Beginner

After a day and a half of troubleshooting why my NIC was showing down in VMware ESXi 6 even though it had green lights on both ends of the fiber and my Cisco 8500 switch said the circuit was up-up, I finally found the answer.

Gee, the Cisco SFP-10G-LRM SFP+ module I use throughout my network isn't compatible in the Intel NIC. Apparently I need an Intel E10GSFPLR SFP+ module in the NIC.

Of course this should work with the SFP-10G-LRM on one end and the E10GSFPLR on the other end, but can anyone verify this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi LSS_Engineer,

Yes, the Intel Adapter is compatible with Intel SFP+ modules. With regards to your question, the E10GSFPLR module supports standard 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet. If your Cisco* switch can support 10GBASE-LR standard, then it is compatible. However, you may need to use Cisco's 10GBASE-LR module for your switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi LSS_Engineer,

Yes, the Intel Adapter is compatible with Intel SFP+ modules. With regards to your question, the E10GSFPLR module supports standard 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet. If your Cisco* switch can support 10GBASE-LR standard, then it is compatible. However, you may need to use Cisco's 10GBASE-LR module for your switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

JArch4
Beginner

Thanks Sandy,

They way I now understand this is that I have two choices:

1. Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-LR modules on the switch and install an Intel E10GSFPLR module in the Intel NIC. This requires changing the MM OM3 fiber to standard SM.

2. Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-SR modules and install and Intel E10GSFPSR module in the Intel NIC and retain the existing MM OM3 fiber.

flymanxia2012
Beginner