Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

82599EB 10Gb SFP+ NIC Problem

JArch4
Beginner

After a day and a half of troubleshooting why my NIC was showing down in VMware ESXi 6 even though it had green lights on both ends of the fiber and my Cisco 8500 switch said the circuit was up-up, I finally found the answer.

Gee, the Cisco SFP-10G-LRM SFP+ module I use throughout my network isn't compatible in the Intel NIC. Apparently I need an Intel E10GSFPLR SFP+ module in the NIC.

Of course this should work with the SFP-10G-LRM on one end and the E10GSFPLR on the other end, but can anyone verify this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi LSS_Engineer,

Yes, the Intel Adapter is compatible with Intel SFP+ modules. With regards to your question, the E10GSFPLR module supports standard 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet. If your Cisco* switch can support 10GBASE-LR standard, then it is compatible. However, you may need to use Cisco's 10GBASE-LR module for your switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi LSS_Engineer,

Yes, the Intel Adapter is compatible with Intel SFP+ modules. With regards to your question, the E10GSFPLR module supports standard 10GBASE-LR 10G Ethernet. If your Cisco* switch can support 10GBASE-LR standard, then it is compatible. However, you may need to use Cisco's 10GBASE-LR module for your switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
JArch4
Beginner

Thanks Sandy,

They way I now understand this is that I have two choices:

1. Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-LR modules on the switch and install an Intel E10GSFPLR module in the Intel NIC. This requires changing the MM OM3 fiber to standard SM.

2. Replace my Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with SFP-10G-SR modules and install and Intel E10GSFPSR module in the Intel NIC and retain the existing MM OM3 fiber.

0 Kudos