Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

Asus B550 I-Gaming. WOL oesn't work after full shutdown

Tom555
Beginner

Hello.

WOL stopped working after turning off the computer. The LEDs on the network card are off. But if, after turning off the computer, completely turn off the power supply and turn it back on, then the LEDs light up and WOL works. I checked all the WOL settings on Windows and they are all enabled.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Tom555
Beginner

1. Yes.

I bought MB and installed driver version V1.0.1.4 and WOL was working fine. Then I identified speed issues. Your colleagues advised to update NVM to version 1.45:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/I225-v-and-ROG-STRIX-B550-I-GAMING-Speed-issue/m-p/1280774#M25112

After that WOL stopped working.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Appreciate your swift reply.

Please allow us to re-escalate this ticket to our higher level support for further investigation. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

After further validation together with our engineers, they have advised that it is still best to coordinate this issue with Asus. This is due to the fact that any and all updates that can impact the Intel Ethernet Controller I225V are controlled by the board vendor. The NVM update from your board manufacturer did work on other end users however, it did not work well on your motherboard.

For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, driver, Firmware and BIOS update are provided by the vendor. We highly suggest contacting Asus support again as they are still the best source of support.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the delays and any inconvenience that this has brought you. We will now proceed closing this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

Wow. Intel had the fix, the fix was not correctly validated (3 of us that I'm aware of with the same issue, all different boards), and now it's Asus's problem exclusively. The i225v is well known to be a total debacle of a chip. Dismissing responsibility for it is not a good look, at all. Wait until more and more users flood this forum with posts for the same issue, as I highly doubt this is a fluke or one-off. Probably effect everyone that uses WoL from S5. It would be better to say, "we were able to reproduce this and we're working on it". Sad. Not the level of support that I have grown to expect from Intel over the decades. Intel KNOWS the i225v is a disaster, and needs to just finish it out, fix the newly introduced bugs.

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

Checking in on this as I've continued to troubleshoot this issue for myself. I wanted to verify if you could set your WoL settings to what I use, these are my settings on the latest i225-v driver (1.0.2.8) for my board from Asus.To keep this crystal clear, I simply have a screenshot of every single setting. Many guides like Intel's own are not exactly clear- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038313/ethernet-products.html. Their steps on Hiberboot and Fast Startup should be followed though, I have always done those two changes. Fast Startup can cause problems with hardware and drivers as it caches the Windows kernel. It's really not worth it, and I hate the feature as it has caused me troubleshooting headaches in the past with GPUs.

I haven't tried them on Intel's latest yet, as I believe there are differences in the options you can set which may affect functionality. All settings here- https://imgur.com/a/ySboRTi

Let me know if you try these settings, and if they change anything for you.

0 Kudos