Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

Configuring 2x2x10 on Intel XL710-QDA2

mattg10
Beginner

Hello,

I am having trouble configuring the ports on an Intel XL710-QDA2 for my intended application.

After reading the configuration utility guide, the following is listed as an available configuration option:

2x2x10 for using dual QSFP+ ports with breakout cables (connection to two 10 Gb/s SFP+ link
partners for each QSFP+ port).

When running the EPCT utility, I am presented with the following options:

Intel(R) Ethernet Port Configuration Tool
EPCT version: v1.35.49.00
Copyright(C) 2020 Intel Corporation.

Available Port Options:
======================================
Active Port
Option Option (Gbps)
======== =============================
1x40
2x40
4x10
X 2x2x10A
2x2x10B

When using the 2x2x10A configuration, I can only get one port to work as 2x10. When using the 2x2x10B configuration, neither of the ports work. However, four adapters are still listed when running ifconfig.

I am running the latest NVM firmware (8.15) and driver version (i40e 2.13.10) on a CentOS 7.8.2003 machine.

$ ethtool -i enp73s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 2.13.10
firmware-version: 8.15 0x80009621 1.2829.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:49:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

I am looking to be able to use both ports in a 2x10 configuration. Is this configuration possible as the guide seems to state?

Please let me know if you need any additional information or if something is wrong with my configuration.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Mattg10,

Thank you for the clarifying that no breakout cables were used.

We will continue investigating this issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mattg10,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

Our engineers considered your configuration and here are their suggestions:

A QSFP+ to QSFP+ cable has 4 lanes of 10Gb. When configured for 40Gb, the 4 lanes are combined at each end.

When configured for 2x2x10 the lanes are split between the ports. The A configuration utilizes lanes 1 and 2 on the top port and lanes 3 and 4 on the bottom port. These correlate to the physical connections on the QSFP+ module.

As you can see on the attached Pin Map image, there are TX and RX connections for each of the 4 lanes (the p and n are positive and negative).

If you are able to configure the port of the other device to utilize lanes 3 and 4, then it should be able to connect to the bottom port in the A configuration.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mattg10
Beginner

Thank you, that basically answers my question. The device is currently incapable of connecting to lanes 3 and 4 which is why the bottom port isn't working.

I had assumed that each port was using lanes 1 and 2 of each cable (not 3 and 4 on the second cable) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I will have to use another solution such as breakout cables or updating the device to accept connections from lanes 3 and 4 if using lanes 1 and 2 on both ports is not possible or does not plan to be supported by the NVM configuration utility.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mattg10,

Thank you for the update.

It is a great joy to know that we have answered your question although we were hoping that there is a way for you to get your configuration working without getting breakout cables; however, based on what you stated, it could be the only way forward.

Since we have addressed your inquiry, we will go ahead and close this thread, should we not get a response from you within 2 business days.

If you would like to give us an update or if you have further questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos