Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Creating Vlans with the ProSet utility in windows 11 not working

xorinzor
Novice

It seems PROSet would need an update for windows 11. Where it was working on windows 10 for me, it no longer works after the upgrade to 11.

Removed the drivers and utility, reinstalled both, still not working. The VLAN Adapters that are created will stay in a disabled state. Manually enabling them shows a "enabling.., enabled" message, but they will stay in their disabled state. Removing all VLANs and recreating them does nothing to resolve the issue either.

Running on a Dell Precision 7540, all latest windows & PROSet updates are installed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
xorinzor
Novice

The solution by @Jayman was pretty close, but the powershell commands failed for me when trying to set the VLAN ID.

Eventually stumbled upon this blog post  which worked for me. Big advantage of this solution is that it's not limited to Intel network adapters, but works for other brands too (realtek for example).

It also requires you to enable the hyper-v module in windows, have a look at Jayman's post for the screenshot. In my case I just enabled Hyper-V completely.

Relevant bits from the blogpost:

Step 2: Setting up the vSwitch

Hyper-V automatically creates a “Default vSwitch” that you can not delete and unfortunately it is not VLAN-Aware. We will have to keep this one as it is and go ahead creating a second vSwitch. For this, we need to open up powershell as an administrator and enter the following commands.

Your host will lose it’s network connection – Do not do that remotely or with apps running.

# This will return a list of network adapters, find your physical NIC and note its "Name" - In most cases "Ethernet"
Get-NetAdapter

# This creates a new vSwitch named VLAN-vSwitch and bridging our physical NIC called "Ethernet". Also we allow to add virtual Host-NICs to this switch.
New-VMSwitch -name VLAN-vSwitch -NetAdapterName Ethernet -AllowManagementOS $true

# Hyper-V automatically creates a virtual NIC without a VLAN tag to keep the host online - Remove it, except you are using a Untagged/Tagged combination.
Remove-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name VLAN-vSwitch

We do now have a clean new VLAN-Aware vSwitch

Step 3: Setting up VLAN interfaces

# Now we create a new virtual Host-NIC and assign a VLAN tag 123 to it. Please note, that the interface name can be chosen freely. One might want to name them by purpose.
Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name "VLAN123" -SwitchName "VLAN-vSwitch" -Passthru | Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -Access -VlanId 123

# You can now add as many virtual NICs as you need
Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name "VLAN456" -SwitchName "VLAN-vSwitch" -Passthru | Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -Access -VlanId 456

# Finally, verify that all adapter are in place
Get-NetAdapter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello xorinzor,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue creating VLANs in Windows 11. For us to check your query, kindly provide the following information.

1. Exact model of your Intel Ethernet Controller that's embedded on your laptop. 

2. Is the Windows 11 OS listed as compatible Operating System for your laptop?

3. Driver version installed and kindly share the link where the driver was downloaded from. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
xorinzor
Novice

Hello Criselle,

1. The Intel I219-LM Ethernet Controller

2. Yes, this laptop complies with all requirements of windows 11

3. I installed both the latest driver and proset utility from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

0 Kudos
StupidCode
Beginner

Driver 2.1.3.15 from 29. June 2023

Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V

0 Kudos
NickTheNetherlands

Crisselle,

Yes same problem here no Ethernet after a full  new w11 install ( no update from W10)  . Run  ProSet for W10 but that  exit with error . 

The solution. 

Backup the W10  Intel i211 driver with Garyutil or other program in w10.   In W11 devicemanager  select the intel driver and update with  the one from the  backup filelocation. Then run the Proset for w10 . No error and Ethernet on W11 fixed.

Nick B-Eng

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello xorinzor,

Thank you for the reply. 

Just to clarify, is the Intel I219-LM Ethernet Controller not working at all in Windows 11 or the Ethernet is working in a normal setup (no other configuration), however the VLANs created doesn't work? 

Hello Nick B-Eng,

Can you please confirm if you also encountered the same issue as described on this thread wherein Creating Vlans with the ProSet utility in Windows 11 is not working? Or is it simply that the Ethernet is not working? 

Looking forward to your replies.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
NickTheNetherlands

Crisselle,

Was looking for the Ethernet Intel driver W11 but the only download on Intel site I found was ProSet??????? for W10.

It is a nice util but only for detail info on Intel drivers.

Nick

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the reply.

We may need to further check with our engineers if the Intel® Ethernet Controller I211-AT is fully supported on Windows 11 OS. 

But before we proceed with investigation, can you please confirm first if you also encountered the same issue as described on this thread wherein Creating Vlans with the ProSet utility in Windows 11 is not working? Or is it simply that the Ethernet is not working? 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello xorinzor,

Good day!

We'd like to follow up the below item for clarification so we can proceed checking this with our engineers. 

Is the Intel I219-LM Ethernet Controller not working at all in Windows 11 or the Ethernet is working in a normal setup (no other configuration), however the VLANs created doesn't work? 

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
theanon
Beginner

Crisselle,

I am also facing the same issue.

And yes thats correct. Normally the Intel ethernet controller works but as soon as the vlans are created the normal ethernet connection is lost and when clicked on vlan adapter to enable it, it will show enabling dialog box but the status remains disabled.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
xorinzor
Novice

Sorry for the delayed response.

The ethernet controller works fine until you start creating VLANs. It's at that point that the problems start.

0 Kudos
linuxkidd
Novice

Same experience here on a different NIC:

OS: Windows 11 Home, Version 21H2, Build: 22000.160, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.160.0

Freshly installed from Windows Insider ISO

All drivers updated, all Windows updates installed.

NIC: Intel 82599 10 Gigabit - Single port

Driver: 4.1.239.0 ( from Intel Driver 26.4 pack )

ProSet Version: 26.4.0.5

- When operating on the base device, with no VLANs created, the interface works fine ( on the untagged network only, of course )

- When VLANs are created, ( one or more, doesn't matter ), the VLAN interfaces show 'Disabled' in the 'Network Connections'

- Attempts to 'Enable' the VLAN interface reports that it is 'Enabled' in the pop-up, but the interface remains 'disabled'

- Confirmed that the base interface shows 'Intel Advanced Network Services Protocol' is enabled

- Confirmed the base NIC Device in 'Device Manager', along with all VLAN virtual interfaces are 'Enabled' and reports 'This device is working properly.'

Since the VLAN interfaces all remain disabled, even though all network devices in 'Device Manager' reports 'Enabled' and 'This device is working properly, connectivity is not functional.

This should be extremely easy to reproduce for Intel ProSet developers.  Please let us know if you need any further information.

--- Corrected typo on NIC Driver Pack version.

Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for the information provided. This will indeed help with the investigation.

Please allow us to further check this with our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Unfortunately, we've got a confirmation form our engineers that the following support will not be available in Windows 11 for Ethernet devices.

• PROset DMIX will not be supported on Windows 11.
  • Advanced Networking Services (ANS) will not be supported on Windows 11.

This means that Teaming and VLAN will no longer be supported.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
xorinzor
Novice

Eh.. okay so what is Intel going to do about that? Having VLANs & Teaming are rather critical features.

Surely a company like Intel has tight contacts with the Microsoft Windows development team to iron this out or get it to work some other way (be it native in windows itself, or some other way).

Just saying "it's not supported" doesn't really seem like a proper response here.

Caguicla_Intel

Hello xorinzor,

Appreciate your swift response.

We totally understand the importance of this request and how this has impacted your workflow. With this, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has brought you.

Please allow us to re-escalate this query to our engineers for further checking. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
linuxkidd
Novice

I completely agree with xorinor.  For those that manage larger networks with multiple VLANs, having a VLAN capable management node is a must.  For this feature to drop off when it's been supported through many previous years of Windows releases is not easy to accept.

This is further frustrating when Windows 11 is a minimal departure from Windows 10.  It seems likely a simple tweak should allow it to continue working in the next generation of Windows OS.

Thanks for re-escalating the issue.  I hope we get a more favorable response.

Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Apologies for the delay on our response 

We regret to inform you that we already received an update that Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) will still not be supported on Microsoft Windows* 11 or future Microsoft client operating system updates. This includes the Intel ANS features that allow the creation of Intel ANS Teams and VLANs. Intel driver support for Microsoft Windows 11 will be available. Microsoft Windows 10 is the final version of Microsoft Windows to support Intel PROSet and Intel ANS. 

Please accept our sincerest apologies again for the inconvenience that this have caused.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MRDANIEL
Beginner

Hello, same problem here with two motherboards (Asus Prime A Z490 and MSI Unify Z590) that have Intel I225-V.  I can't switch to any VLAN.  Ethernet adapter shows under Device manager, but stays disabled.  Only untagged traffic is handled.  I used to use a script in Powershell to switch between VLANs and that doesn't work anymore as well.  Proset gui or Powershell command let are broken in Windows 11.  So far, this is the only driver that is causing me issues for both motherboards.  It reminds me a bug we had when Windows updated to fall update last year and it took Intel about 6 months to get this sorted out.  Hopefully that won't be the case as we I am require to run backups on a separated network.   THanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MRDANIEL,

As per our previous update, we regret to inform you that Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) will still not be supported on Microsoft Windows* 11 or future Microsoft client operating system updates. This includes the Intel ANS features that allow the creation of Intel ANS Teams and VLANs. Intel driver support for Microsoft Windows 11 will be available. Microsoft Windows 10 is the final version of Microsoft Windows to support Intel PROSet and Intel ANS. 

Hello All,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our update. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this matter. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
sebasgst
Beginner

Thanks for the info, i upgrade my Windows 10 20H2, to Windows 11 Pro, not working, rolled back to Windows 10, works again, it remains to wait for intel to update the adapters

- Intel l219-LM

0 Kudos