Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4923 Discussions

E810-C running on CentOS 7: driver version question

klytus
Beginner

modinfo ice and ethtool show the version as 0.7.2-k. Can someone tell me how old this driver is? On the Intel website, it doesn't even show this driver. The oldest driver listed out of 18 shown, is 1.04. Is this driver older than that? I inherited 8 servers like this I am being asked to do some performance testing on these NICs and wondering if I might need to make a case to my boss to reimage them to something like rhel8.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We understand that you need information of the E810-C running on CentOS 7 driver version.

Could you please provide us the SSU log following guide from below link:

How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*

Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

0 Kudos
klytus
Beginner

Hello. You provided me a link for the Windows version and I am running Linux. I am working on obtaining the Linux version.

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

Apologies for sending SSu log for windows.

Here is the link:

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

0 Kudos
klytus
Beginner

I found it. Log file attached. Although I noticed that it appears that the utility did not capture the ice driver version, which is what this is about.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Dear klytus,

Based on the log information, its HPE system. Please find Intel Linux drivers below. The latest is version 1.12.7. We could also suggest you to check with HPE as well since their drivers version is different from Intel generic driver.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19630/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-e810-series-devices-under-linux.html

You could also check the Sourceforge for the latest ice drivers.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/ice%20stable/

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
klytus
Beginner

I know the latest is 1.12.7. My main question is finding out when my current driver, 0.7.2-k, came out so that I can tell my boss how old it is.

Also, I tried loading 1.12.7 and it wouldn't take. I assume because my kernel is too old. Running CentOS 7 with kernel 3.10.0-1160.102.1.el7.x86_64

So I would need to know what the latest version of the driver is that supports that.

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback.

We will check with our engineering team and will get back to you the soonest.

Regards,

Yogaeasvaran

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello klytus,

The latest driver should work with CentOS 7.9. In reference to Readme file that comes with the driver states:

This driver supports kernel versions 3.10.0 and newer. However, some features may require a newer kernel version.

Can we also know what is the issue your facing with getting the driver to work?

Please also note that Version 0.7.2-k is not an Intel driver, it is the driver that came with the OS. The -k means that it is an in-kernel driver supplied with the kernel.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Hello klytus,

Regarding your case, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Regards,

Ryo

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Hello klytus,

Regarding your case, we are following up 2nd time to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Regards,

Ryo

0 Kudos
klytus
Beginner

I apologize for the late reply. Usually things slow down this close to the end of the year, but it has been extraordinarily busy. Trying to button things up to take off for xmas. I appreciate the info regarding the version I asked about. I am glad to hear that it should support the newest version, but then the question becomes why is it not using the newest version after I installed it? Should I need to do any manual intervention to switch from the internal drivers to the new driver?

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Hello klytus,

We would suggest you check with HPE as well since their driver's version is different from Intel generic driver.

You may get the driver details and version that could be able to work with.

Regards,

Ryo

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Hello klytus,

Kindly note that as you would need to contact HPE support for assistant, hence we will be closing this request.

If you have any more questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Ryo

0 Kudos