Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4947 Discussions

E810-XXV-2 RSS Number of receives queues stucked to 1

GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm testing an E810-XVV-2 dual port network card and I'm facing really bad performance compared to an old (and unfortunately obsolete) X520.

At the moment I need just 10Gbps links.

Under Windows 10 64 bit 22h2 (desktop)  I want to use the two ports of the board to read from 12 gigabit cameras connected to an Aruba 2730F switch. Each port of the board read 6 cameras (about 5Gbps). Note: these cameras sends frames using 8K UDP telegrams (i.e. a lot of small telegrams). 

I usually does not tweak too much the driver settings: I just enable the jumbo frames, disable all the CRC offloading options and increase the number of receive buffers. All the other options, in particular the RSS and the number of receive queues, are kept to their default value.

Unfortunately this board seem to ignore what it is set as "number of receive queues" and always use 1. As you can see the default is 16

GiovaBx_0-1708002395399.png

but when I check in the powershell the actual number is 1.

GiovaBx_1-1708002504661.png

When I start the software to grab from the camera is see that all the load is handle by a single CPU thread.

I have the same behaviour in two different PCs with different motherboards and processors: a single i7 processor MB and a dual Xeon processors MB.

Any hint to get this setting to a value different from 1: simple a single CPU thread is not able to handle all the interrupts for the incoming telegrams. 

Regards

Giovanni

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Thank you for your response. I truly appreciate your effort. Please let us know if you require any other help or details you require, or kindly confirm if we can close the case if the issue resolves.

Thank you for your support and understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi. 

Unfortunately the NIC device again to limit the number of RSS to 1.

On friday during my test, without any apparent reason we started to loose packets.

When I check the nic, i found this

again_1_queue.PNG

 The number of used Rss queue change from 4 to 1 and there is no way to change this value.

Today I delete the device from windows and then install them again but I can't have the same results as friday morning!

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi GiovaBx,

Thank you for your update. We kindly request you to allow some time to check and provide you with an update.

Thank you for you understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos