Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

Ethernet Controller i210 takes 3+ seconds to link up after forcing 100Mbps/Full Duplex

CSchr5
Beginner

i210 link is taking around 3 sec to come up. I am forcing the speed to 100MB and Full duplex. 

We've tried using both methods for Forcing MAC Speed in section 3.7.4.4.2.1 of the datasheet.

(Method 1): Initially we were using the CTRL.FRCSPD (Force Speed) bit to force the MAC speed, but then read in the datasheet that "The CTRL.FRCSPD bit uses the MAC's internal clock switching logic, which does delay the effect of the speed change."

(Method 2): We then tried forcing the speed setting in CTRL.SPEED by setting the CTRL_EXT.SPD_BYPS bit, which "bypasses the MAC's internal clock switching logic and enables the software device driver complete control of when the speed setting takes place."

Both methods resulted in a nearly 3.3 second delay between forcing the speed and reading the speed in the PHY_STATUS register.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello CSchr5,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me gather some information for me to better understand your inquiry. Please provide the following details.

1. Are you designing a system?
  2. Are you trying to embed I210 on the system that you are trying design/build?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello CSchr5,

I just want to make a follow up on the information that I requested.  

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello CSchr5,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos