Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5000 Discussions

Ethernet connection goes to sleep and cannot be waked up

Jens611
Beginner

My system is a Win10 machine and the internet/network configuration is this:

Intel I219-LM -> Powerline adapter --> ..... -> Powerline adapter -> Router,

When the system goes to standby, the network connection is lost very often. It cannot be waked up by a ping. So I have either to restart the machine or to disable/enable the network card.  Latter is time consuming, because I have to log in as Administrator to do so.

Does anyone know, how to configure the adapter, so that it also wakes up after standby?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greeting,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Wake-on-LAN functionality requires various settings, such as firewall, antivirus programs, BIOS, driver, operating system and router settings to be set up correctly. To learn more about your system settings check with your system manufacturer (OEM). For the driver settings, proceed with the instructions below:

1. In Device Manager > your Ethernet Adapter > the Advanced Tab
    1. Shutdown Wake Up set to Enabled
    2. Wake on Pattern Match set to Enabled (Depending on your setup, Wake-on-LAN may work with this disabled.)
    3. Wake on Magic Packet set to Enabled (Depending on your configuration, Wake-on-LAN may work with this disabled.)
    4. SWOI set to Enabled (This is optional, and enables specific applications to wake the machine from external IP addresses over the Internet. This should not be needed for Wake-on-LAN, but may be desirable for some.)
  2. In Device Manager > your Ethernet Adapter > Power Management
    1. Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power should be checked.
    2. Allow this device to wake the computer should be checked.
    3. Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer should only be checked if the computer wakes from sleep at undesired times, and you want to restrict this behavior to only waking from a magic packet.

Note that on some systems, the Power Management options could be grayed out because the computer is using Modern Standby. With Modern Standby, the computer is always connected to the Internet in every sleep state. However, Modern Standby does have its own set of wake sources. You can read more about Modern Standby wake sources.

If those settings are all set correctly, the network adapter is ready to go for Wake-on-LAN. Note that the machines have to be on the same subnet, and Wake-on-LAN may not be possible if there is any separation between the devices other than a single router.

If you are unable to use Wake-on-LAN despite having all of the above settings correctly configured, there may be some additional configuration needed in the BIOS of your specific motherboard or machine. For further information, you will need to contact the computer or motherboard manufacturer for support.

Regards,

RYO

0 Kudos
Jens611
Beginner

I disabled

Computer may turn off device

for the Ethernet adapter and now it works fine.

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greeting,

Thank you for your feedback.

We hope that you have found our customer support team helpful in resolving your issue.

Your issue is now considered resolved therefore we are proceeding to close this ticket from our end.

Regards,

RYO

0 Kudos
Yogaeasvaran
Employee

Greeting,

Thank you for your feedback.

We hope that you have found our customer support team helpful in resolving your issue.

Your issue is now considered resolved therefore we are proceeding to close this ticket from our end.

Regards,

RYO

0 Kudos
Jens611
Beginner

They brought me on the way to fix it, but it is still unclear, why this bug happened. The manufacturer of the Powerline, said that their device is not the cause and your support gave me some hints, which did not work. Question is, if it is still a bug (hw or sw) of the adapter?

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

Regarding the WOL for i219 The Intel® Ethernet Connections I219-LM and I219-V support Wake-on-LAN.

In order to enable this feature and to obtain additional information, we would recommend refer to your system manufacturer.

Best Regards,

Srri 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

Regarding your case, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Best Regards,

Srri 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Jens611
Beginner

Sorry,

but your proposed actions did not work at all.

On the other side my action ("keep adapter alive") works most of the time with only one error since beginning.

Jens

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

Can you please take a screenshot of the error message and send to us here.

If you have any further questions or queries, please kindly let us know.

Best Regards,

Srri 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Jens611
Beginner

There was no error message,  only the fact that the internet connection was lost. I assume that the reason for this is, that the adapter had fallen asleep.

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

There's a possibility that your Ethernet connection is not enabled to wake on magic packet. For us to isolate this, let's look into the advanced settings of your network adapter. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Device Manager > Network adapters.
  2. Right-click on your Ethernet connection and click Properties.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Property, scroll down and select Wake on magic packet.
  5. Set the value to Enabled.
  6. Click OK.

Once done, try to observe if Ethernet connection still disconnects if put to sleep mode.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Srri

Intel Customer 

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

Regarding your case, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Best Regards,

Srri 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Hello Jens,

Best Regards,

Srri 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Srri
Employee

Greetings Jens,

Kindly note that as we have not received any response from our previous follow-ups, we will be closing this request.

If you have any more questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank You & Regards

Srri

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos