Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5163 Discussions

Executing BootUtil commands on Intel I350-T4

TXT_MB
Beginner

I have an Intel I350-T4 installed in my Windows PC, and I am trying to use the BootUtil application to modify the flash to support iSCSI booting.

Per instruction from an Intel support technician:

1. I downloaded Intel® Ethernet Connections Boot Utility, Preboot Images, and EFI Drivers (version 27.4 - the last release to support this feature).
  2. I unzipped the "PREBOOT.zip" file.
  3. I ran the "PREBOOT.exe" application, which unpacked files to "C:\Intel27.4".
  4. From an administrative command prompt window, I executed "C:\Intel27.4\APPS\BootUtil\Winx64\install.bat".
  5. At this point, I was able to successfully run the "BOOTUTILW64E.EXE" tool and see the list of my active ethernet ports.

I attempted to run a handful of commands, but I kept getting the following error:

ERROR: iSCSI is not flashed on port 5

Then I ran the -FLASHENABLE command, and rebooted by PC after seeing this message:

Enabling boot ROM on port 5. . .Success
Reboot the system to enable the boot ROM on this port

After rebooting my PC, I attempted to run the -UP=ISCSI command, but now I’m seeing this error:

EEPROM read failed on port 5

Additionally, after this last error, my active port is appearing like this:

Port Network Address Location Series  WOL Flash Firmware                Version
==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======
5 [MAC Address] 2:00.3 Gigabit N/A FLASH Unknown

Does anyone know why this error is happening? I don't want to attempt any more commands until this is sorted.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi TXT_MB,

Thank you for reaching out to the Intel community. We acknowledge receipt of your concern and want to assure you that assisting you is our top priority. To effectively troubleshoot the issue you're facing, we require some additional information from your end.

Could you kindly provide the following details?

1. System Model:
  2. Did the Ethernet card came with the system or was it purchased separately:

Your prompt response with this information will greatly assist us in diagnosing and resolving the issue as quickly as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
TXT_MB
Beginner

Simon,

My system is a Dell T7920 Workstation PC with a Windows Server 2022 operating system.

The ethernet card did not come with the system initially. It was purchased specifically due to the data sheet stating that it is capable of supporting iSCSI boot.

Thank you for looking into this!

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi TXT_MB,

Good day!

Thank you for sharing the requested details.

We would like to inform you that, according to the specifications in the following link, this Ethernet card is supported only for servers (Vertical Segment: Server) and is untested for workstations: Intel Ethernet Network Adapter I350-T4 for OCP 3.0 Specifications.

We recommend contacting Dell to verify if they have tested this Ethernet card with the Dell T7920 Workstation PC and if it is supported.

We look forward to hearing back from you and await your reply.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hello TXT_MB,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to review the plan of action (POA) we provided. 

Feel free to reply to this message, and we'll be more than happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
TXT_MB
Beginner

Simon,

I reached out to Dell, and according to them, "Unfortunately, there's no way for Dell to check if a card is compatible or not".

Despite this, I have verified that I am able to install the card, install the latest driver, and send/receive communications over the NIC card.

0 Kudos
TXT_MB
Beginner

Simon,

I decided to try moving my Intel I350-T4 card to a different PC just for configuration, and I was able to successfully send commands to configure the iSCSI settings. The new system was running Ubuntu.

I ran several commands on my desired port, using this format:

./bootutil64e -NIC=# -[OPTION]=[VALUE]

Specifically, I used the following options, one line at a time:

-UP=ISCSI
-BOOTPRIORITY=PRIMARY
-INITIATORDHCP=DISABLE
-INITIATORIP=[IP address of my Client PC]
-INITIATORNAME=[IQN name configured on my Client PC]
-NETMASK=[Subnet mask being used]
-TARGETIP=[IP address of my Server PC]
-AUTHENTICATIONMETHOD=NONE

Are there any options that I may have missed or configured incorrectly?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello TXT_MB,

Greetings!

Thank you for writing to us. As our fellow tech has clarified that this product I350 T4 is released for vertical segment : Servers, and is not tested for Workstation. 

Yes, you will be able to install card in the PC, But this card may or may not work upon this workstation as it has not been tested neither by Dell nor by Intel.

Also, similar issues could be also caused by the firmware compatibility of the NIC card, However Firmware is usually provided by OEM and since this card did not come with the Tower workstation, it is unlikely you will get the firmware from Dell.

We would like to know/convey below addnl. information:

1. Version 27.4 should not be the last release to support this feature(iSCSI). Please refer below link with latest version 29.1:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15755/intel-ethernet-connections-boot-utility-preboot-images-and-efi-drivers.html

Please once try with this version as well.

2. You had mentioned : "I attempted to run a handful of commands, but I kept getting the following error: iSCSI is not flashed on port 5"

i. What commands did you try to run?

ii. As the card is Quad port, this Port 5 on the error indicates any vNIC or the Target port. Is the correct port being targeted in iSCSI configuration settings.

3. The other system with Ubuntu installed where you tried and were successful in configuring iSCSI settings, was that also a T7920 , if not could you also share the specification/model of the system.

Please let us know if this works out.

Regards,

Subhashish_Intel.

0 Kudos
TXT_MB
Beginner

Subhashish,

I downloaded that version you specified - the 29.1 - and there are zero 'iSCSI' related command for me to send to the NIC card.

How am I supposed to configure the iSCSI settings using this newer version of the BOOTUTIL?

0 Kudos
TXT_MB
Beginner

Subhashish,

Additionally, in the "Intel Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide" dated May 18 2022, at the start of Section 6.5 (Intel Ethernet iSCSI Boot), it says:

NOTE: Release 20.6 is the last release in which Intel Ethernet iSCSI Boot supports Intel Ethernet Desktop Adapters and Network Connections. Starting with Release 20.7, Intel Ethernet iSCSI Boot no longer supports Intel Ethernet Desktop Adapters and Network Connections.

What exactly does this mean? Do I need an older version of software?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi TXT_MB,

Per your quote from "Intel Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide" dated May 18 2022, even the 27.4 Version is not supposed to work. If 20.6 is the last version that supports, then it is not reflecting in the downloads section as per :-

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15755/intel-ethernet-connections-boot-utility-preboot-images-and-efi-drivers.html

Could you also please confirm if the following settings are applied correctly in BIOS:-

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup
  2. Go to the Boot Menu (this may also be under the Advanced Settings depending on BIOS version)
  3. Select Boot Priority (or Boot Configuration) and uncheck Boot Network Devices Last
  4. Go to Network Boot and enable UEFI PXE & iSCSI
  5. Select either Ethernet1 Boot or Ethernet2 Boot
  6. Pressing the F12 key during POST automatically forces booting from the LAN.

Meanwhile, also please let us know about these;-

1. You had mentioned : "I attempted to run a handful of commands, but I kept getting the following error: iSCSI is not flashed on port 5"

i. What commands did you try to run?

ii. As the card is Quad port, this Port 5 on the error indicates any vNIC or the Target port. Is the correct port being targeted in iSCSI configuration settings.

2. The other system with Ubuntu installed where you tried and were successful in configuring iSCSI settings, was that also a T7920 , if not could you also share the specification/model of the system.

As this product is not really tested, so it may or may not work but these are few things that we can try as best effort. While you get us these information, we will check in our end if there is anything else that can be done.

Regards,

Subhashish_Intel.

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi TXT_MB,

Good Day!

I am writing to follow up on our previous correspondence, As I haven't received a response yet, I wanted to touch base and see if there are any updates or if there is any additional information you require from my end.

I understand that you may be busy, and I appreciate your time and attention to this matter. If there's anything I can do to assist you further or if you need any clarification, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you and best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi TXT_MB,

Greetings for the day!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. 

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos