Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5026 Discussions

How to compile ixgbe for unsupported kernel (6.5)?

Voldrix
Beginner

I realize this kernel version is not officially supported, but I'm trying to test new features just added to this branch.

The 6.5-rc3 kernel is working fine on Debian Trixie, except the ixgbe drivers won't compile (for x550-T2).

I have the kernel header files installed appropriately. The compilation gets part way through before I get an error for "implicit declaration of u64_stats_fetch_begin_irq".

Are there any compile options, or alternative compilation methods I can use to get this working?

Can I disable this specific incompatible feature?

Is there any kernel compile option I can enable to enable compatibility?

Help is appreciated. Thank you,

-Ben

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Kindly provide the following information for us to check on your query:

1) Please advise if you are using custom board or with which brand/OEM system board?

2) Linux distribution: 6.5-rc3 kernel is working on which Debian Trixie? May I also inquire on which ixgbe drivers that you tested with?

3) Ethtool -i 

4) Ethtool -k or sudo ethtool -k <interface_name>

5)May I know the desire end goal for the configuration?

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Voldrix
Beginner

It's a Supermicro board.

What do you mean which Debian Trixie? Trixie is the latest testing branch codename.

I'm trying to compile the latest Linux source from your website. 5.18.13

My goal is to get the network card to work. It doesn't have any working drivers for the new kernel.

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

Through the further checking we have found that Debian 11 is the latest supported not tested for the ixgbe driver for X550-T2.

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html

Note that while we attempt to keep the driver version number (5.18.13) in sync with its counterpart in the Linux kernel that has similar functionality this is far from authoritative.

If you are using a newer kernel.org kernel or distro it is likely that its ixgbe driver is at least as up to date as the out of tree (OOT) driver found here.

- May I know if the X550-T2 had issue with earlier version?

- Please share the front and back markings of the X550-T2 for us to validate.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Voldrix
Beginner

The drivers compile on Linux 6.1.42, but not 6.3 or 6.5.

However Debian's precompiled 6.3 seems to have working drivers, as the card works. so somehow they were able to make it work.

I guess I would just like to see the drivers add support for the latest kernel version.

Thank you

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

Thank you for the wait. Please give us a little time to respond to your question while I check with the team internally. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

There is a new stable release of version ixgbe 5.19.6 while we are still awaiting feedback internally, taken from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/ixgbe%20stable/

We also seeking your help for System Support Utility(SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration to advise on your inquiry.

a- Go to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html? and download the software.

b- Open Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
c- From the current director, navigate to the current folder where the ssu.sh file resides. For example if you saved the ssu.sh to a folder called "SSU File" the command would be: cd "SSU File"
c- Run the ssu.sh file using this command: ./ssu.sh <parameter=0|1> where 0 = off and 1 = enabled
d- Use the parameter definitions included in the readme to determine which parameter to use.
e- If no parameter is specified and only ./ssu.sh is run, it will capture all system information with the exception of 3rd party logs which must be specified. If no output file is specified, the SSU will write the output to file <sytemname>.txt.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @Voldrix,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos