Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4918 Discussions

How to create a VEB and VSI on the XL710

LeslieSu
Beginner

Hello
I'm using the Intel XL710 network card recently, but I don't know how to create a VEB or how to bind two VFs or a PF and a VF to the same VEB/VEPA.
I want to know how to create VSI? How to match VSI and VF?

The system used is CentOS 7.9 linux kernel - 5.4

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shaq_Intel

Hi LeslieSu,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support for Ethernet Product. As for your question you can try the method below and let us know if it help.

To create a VEB (Virtual Ethernet Bridge), you can use the following steps:

1. Load the ixgbe driver using the modprobe command:

modprobe ixgbe 

2. Create the VEB using the ip link command:

bash

ip link add name <VEB_NAME> type bridge 

3. Add the PF or VF to the VEB:

arduino

ip link set <PF_NAME_or_VF_NAME> master <VEB_NAME> 

To bind two VFs or a PF and a VF to the same VEB/VEPA, you can follow the same steps as above, but you need to add both the VFs or PF and VF to the same VEB using the ip link set command.

To create a VSI (Virtual Station Interface), you can use the following steps:

1. Enable SR-IOV (Single Root Input/Output Virtualization) on the network card:

Javascript

echo 1> /sys/class/net/<PF_NAME>/device/sriov_numvfs 

2. Create the VSI using the ip link command:

Bash

ip linkadd name <VSI_NAME> typemacvlan mode passthru 

3. Assign the VF to the VSI:

arduino

ip link set <VF_NAME> netns <VSI_NAME> 

To match VSI and VF, you need to use the same naming convention for the VSI and VF names. For example, if you create a VF named eth0_1 using the ip link command, you should create a VSI with the same name (eth0_1) using the steps mentioned above.

Note: The above steps are specific to the Intel XL710 network card and may not work with other network cards. It's always a good idea to refer to the network card's documentation for specific instructions.

Regards,

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos
Charlie_Chan
Beginner

Thanks for your answer, Shaq. I'm also searching for methods of creating VEBs for my X710 nic. This would be a help for me.

But I wonder if ixgbe is a must-be kmod for VEB, or i40e is also ok? As I know ixgbe is for 500 series NICs.

And I also wonder, when using "ip link add name <VEB_NAME> type bridge" to create veb, will it create a linux sw bridge, or it will turn into the hw-based veb in the nic while the correct nic kmod is loaded?

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

Hi LeslieSu,

As for your question, i would suggest you to ask our developer and embedded communities. As that communities post will help you with more in depth question.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

As i will closing this thread for now. Thank you.

Regards,

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos