Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

How to install Intel i40e the latest v2.19.3 NIC driver on Ubuntu 18.04.5

W-P
Beginner

After running "make install" on Ubuntu 18.04.5, the installation script looked successful without errors.
However, even though "modinfo i40e" showed the latest i40e-2.19.3, "ethtool -i  {interface}" didn't reflect the same version (seems not updated).
From this, the installation has yet to complete. (Please see the attached file.)
Could you advise how to complete the installation? (Some steps are missing?)

Server model:Dell R740
OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Both "GNU/Linux 4.15.0-136-generic" and "GNU/Linux 4.15.0-189-generic x86_64")
NIC:Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP2 on PCIe network card
Driver Source Link:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18026/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-40-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

Please let me know if you have any more information.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Firstly, we thank you for providing us all the information that we needed for this case as it helps a lot on our end. We'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller, we have limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Please provide us some time to have this further check before providing you our recommendations. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
W-P
Beginner
Hello Zigfreid,

Thank you for checking my inquiry.
Yes, it's ok to take your time about next update as you scheduled.

I'll wait for your update.
Thanks.

Best Regards,

W-P
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Our engineers would just like to double check if you are indeed using an embedded controller for the XXV710 that you have advised. Is the XXV710 controller that you are reporting is the one embedded on your Dell R740 server or are you using a discreet/PCIe network adapter?

In case you are using a discreet network adapter can we request for you to provide a photo of the markings both front and back.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
W-P
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

We are using PCIe network adapter for the target interface.

I've also uploaded the output of SSU utility.

*I'm glad if you can get necessary information from this.

root@xxxxxxxxxx:/home/xxxxxxxxxx# ./ssu.sh
This product is not supported on this operating system.
Would you like to try to scan? (y/n)
y
The wodim package is recommended to retrieve wodim details.
Would you like to try and install it now? (y/n)
n
Cannot get driver information: No such device
The smartmontools package is recommended to retrieve smartctl details.
Would you like to try and install it now? (y/n)
n

Could you verify from the output?

Best Regards,

W-P

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Thank you very much for providing us your SSU log however, as per checking we are not able to see a Network adapter installed on your system. What we could see is that there are 2x "Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28" ports on your system and we also double check on Dell's site for the server system that you are using which is a "Dell R740" and found out that these are the included ports;

Network Options

4 x 1GbE

2 x 10GbE + 2 x 1GbE

4 x 10GbE

2 x 25GbE 

Dell R740

https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-r740

We are not quite sure if the Network adapter that you are referring is not reflecting on your system since we are seeing that you are also using a Linux OS in which sometimes might not be able to display it properly. 

Please have your system check and confirm if you are indeed using a PCIe network adapter or if its really using an embedded controller, since our engineers are needing to have this clarified first. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
W-P
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Thank you for your update.

The following ☆ is an interface of embedded controller(Integrated Port) and ★ is an interface of  PCIe network adapter(Slot Port).

We want to apply the NIC driver on ★ interface.

xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx:~$ sudo lshw -short -class network
H/W path                 Device                 Class               Description
=========================================================
/0/100/1c/0           ☆xxxxxxxxx     network   I350 Gigabit Network Connection
/0/100/1c/0.1        ☆xxxxxxxxx network I350 Gigabit Network Connection
/0/102/0                 ☆xxxxxxxxx network Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+
/0/102/0.1              ☆xxxxxxxxx network Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+
/0/2/0                      ★xxxxxxxxx network Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28
/0/2/0.1                  ★xxxxxxxxx network Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28
/3                               xxxxxxxxxx network Ethernet interface
/4                               xxxxxxxxxx network Ethernet interface

Does this helpful to verify?

Best Regards,

W-P

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Thank you for providing us an update. If you are indeed using a PCIe Network adapter for your XXV710 25GbE, please provide us a picture of the physical markings both front and back of the NIC itself so that we can validate it if its a retail or an OEM adapter since we are unable to determine it via the SSU log that you have provided or any of the information that you have provided before. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
W-P
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thank you for your update.

Sorry, but it's a bit difficult for me to get the pictures soon.

Do you mean it's possible to isolate if it's a driver issue or not after the validation of a retail or an OEM adapter?

Best Regards,

W-P

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Thank you for responding, since you have mentioned that you are using a discreet network adapter, we needed to make sure first if you are using a retail or an OEM adapter. If ever that your adapter is an OEM kit we might need to refer you to the manufacturer instead since they have their own firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. However, if your using a retail adapter we can have this further investigated with our engineers so that we can advise/recommend you properly. Please do advise us if you have an estimated date on when you can provide us the markings of your NIC so that we can keep the thread open. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
W-P
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still not sure when I can get the info.

Meanwhile, I could succeed in installing the latest i40e driver on the target server.

So it looks good now and good to close this service request for now, too.

I appreciate your checking this case and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

W-P

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello W-P,

Thank you for advising and we do apologize if we haven't yet provided you a recommendation on our end since our engineers are requesting the information that we have asked. We are also glad that you were able to find a solution on your own. We will now close the thread and for future inquires just post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos