Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4898 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
AToto
Beginner

since you arent an official intel employee and you arent adding any usefull information to the thread i would ask you to not post here just for the sake of posting.

we KNOW that not all adapters are supported yet. the driver download page of the PT adapters lists a windows10 driver tab and therefor is missleading ppl about the support. the card itself supports operation in the windows 10 enviroment and its safe for customers to asume that windows 10 would support teaming, if win7/win8.1 supported it without any flaws. if intel decides to stop supporting the older server adapters that is unfortunate for alot of people, because they are perfectly good cards and i dont see a reason to sidegrade to i350s. there is no incentive whatsoever to upgrade a high quality server adapter if you dont go to at least a 10gbe. we are simply waiting for intel to give us some information about the reasons why drivers work for singleports but teaming doesnt currently work in windows 10.

TLDR, please dont post, if you cant add anything beyond what the official intel employees allready told us earlier. we know its not supported right now and we are waiting for OS integration and/or intel driver workaround

0 Kudos
MMath7
Beginner

Hello,

this morning (2nd march 2016) was another cumulative update to version 10586.122 and still no teaming or vlan...

we reverted to Win 7 on all machines but one for monitoring this issue.

This is really a long time now since we had no updates on this issue (either tfrom intel here or microsoft here :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66166918-5b67-4754-89e5-a2572b1888a2/nic-teaming-failed-build-10568-windows-10?forum=win10itpronetworking NIC Teaming failed (Build 10568) Windows 10)

I hope you can provide with some news (hopefully good ones)

Regards

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Matioupi,

I am sorry to inform there is no update yet about VLAN support in Windows 10. You may check the note on the latest driver we have:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?v=t Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
CKlut
Novice

So are we waiting on Microsoft or Intel here? Sorry, but this is really a joke.

0 Kudos
VDifi
Beginner

This is indeed a joke, we have an entire office with over a dozen workstation all with Intel i350-t2/4 cards and since we upgraded (we had to in order to stay current with some of our vendor's software) we have lost the ability of teaming our NICs.

This is causing delays in our work and frustration in our employees. If Intel cannot offer this functionality anymore, they shold be issuing a refund for their NIC adapters.

To tell your customers to complain to MS is irritating at best.

Intel get your act together and provide us with a timeline of resolution.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DGara
Beginner

I am throwing my hat into the ring here as well. wondering when this might be fixed.

0 Kudos
MMath7
Beginner

This morning, cumulative update to Win 10 : 10586.164

Still no teaming possible (I understand this will requiere also a modification from Intel drivers side, but nothing in the release notes that says this is being adressed...)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been waiting EIGHT MONTHS for this foolish fiasco to be resolved too, with several driver updates and Windows 10 builds not addressing it. What is the hold up? I used to have a 4x1Gbps trunk to my Synology and VMs and I've been stuck with 1Gbps while I wait, or go back to Windows 8.1. I have customers griping about this as well.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Here is a bit of real-time data. We are testing the latest Hotfixes from MS (one for Win10 TH2 and one for Win10 RTM) and are seeing very promising results that the issue appears to fix the Teaming/VLAN issues. However, until run a full test pass through our SW teams we won't know if fixing this one issue has introduced new issues. Only a full test pass can reveal theses potentially hidden bugs.

I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
MMath7
Beginner

Great news, and thanks to intel for breaking this disapointing silence first (of the 2 companies involved...) !

Please keep updating, this is always better than nothing !

0 Kudos
KKuhl
Beginner

Thank you Carl_Wilson for letting us know this is still a live issue, and Intel is working on a solution. The tendency of some companies to remain completely silent on issues can make customers believe nothing is happening.

0 Kudos
NAlle
Beginner

Carl what hot fix are you referring to is it a insider build? I am open to testing anything needed as this is not a production box. I have been thinking abought loading TH2 but have put it off as of yet however if it may resolve this im game. PM me if you would like me to test anything.

0 Kudos
AChar2
Novice

Thanks Carol! Looking forward to an update in the coming days/weeks. This is a hot item for my team for our next phase of deployment.

0 Kudos
JEber1
Beginner

Hi Carl

Just posting here as yet another user seeking Teaming driver for Windows 10. My adapter is Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter. Looking forward to it!

John

0 Kudos
THash5
Beginner

I second that. Carl_Wilson do you have any details on the hotfix you referred to? Many people will want to test this before we're all surprised (again) with what it fixes and what it may break. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Once I am able to confirm that the MS provided 'hot fix' corrects the issue and doesn't break anything else I can state specifically which one it is. However, again - this only gets you 50% there. After we confirm the hotfix corrects the issue, then we need to release a tested/validated driver that re-enables the features.

0 Kudos
THash5
Beginner

Thanks Carl_Wilson, really appreciate your follow up on this. The community thanks you!

0 Kudos
MMath7
Beginner

Hello Carl, thank you for the updates.

Once you tells us which hotfix to test, would reverting to intel drivers without ANS and VLAN purposely disabled be a temp workaround ?

Do you have an ETA for final tests and the next driver serie release ? (assuming that nothing goes wrong in between) ?

Regards

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Not yet. But then again, I am only asking the engineering team 2-3 times a week for updates. Its complication is in the fact that it takes several weeks to go through an entire test pass, given the number of platforms and devices that we have to test with.

0 Kudos
ABurn5
Novice

Hi Carl, could we please have an update on the current situation?

0 Kudos
EAlle2
Beginner

We're really in need of this updated driver. Here's hoping it comes soon!

0 Kudos