Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4923 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

We have good news!

We have been testing the two Microsoft Hot-fixes (KB3140745 and KB3140743, depending on OS version) internally with our SW teams. The fixes look good, so we are moving to intercept our next SW driver release (Network Adapter Driver package version 21.0) targeted for the beginning of June to re-enable the Teaming and VLAN capabilities! This new driver will check to see if these hot-fixes are installed before allowing the settings to be changed. If your system doesn't allow fro the teaming/VLAN settings, it is an indication you need to install the hot-fixes).

0 Kudos
ABurn5
Novice

That's fantastic news Carl! Thank you to you and your engineers. I'm looking forward to upgrading

0 Kudos
N_3
Beginner

w00h00 ! Hopefully I'll finally be able to Team my two 1Gb interfaces - in another three and a half months, this thread will be one year old

0 Kudos
FKurt
Novice

That's great news! Thanks for the effort and your updates on this issue Carl

Can't wait to try that new driver.

Best regards,

Fabian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Carl,

Can you advise if you are seeing any regressions with the latest Cumulative Update (KB3147458) that appears to supersede KB3140743?

The superseding order (as best I can tell) seems to be as follows:

KB3140743 (March 1st, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140743 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140743)

KB3140768 (March 8th, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140768 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140768)

KB3147458 (April 12th, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458)

For instance, I currently have the following KBs installed on my Windows 10 Pro (Version 1511 / OS Build 10586.218) box:

[01]: KB3124262

[02]: KB3124263

[03]: KB3135173

[04]: KB3139907

[05]: KB3140741

[06]: KB3140743

[07]: KB3140768

[08]: KB3154132

[09]: KB3147458

Notice that the last (09) update I have installed, is the newest generation of the KB3140743 update.

Also notice I do NOT have KB3140745 installed. When I try to to install it manually (downloading the package via the steps from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140745 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140745 and trying to install) I get an error stating "The update is not applicable to your computer". I'm assuming (although, I could be wrong) that this is because I have newer KBs installed that superceed it.

The reason I'm concerned about a possible regression is that I am not able to create a team using the built-in Windows libraries (i.e., not via Intel software). When I run the command:

new-NetLBFOTeam [TEAMNAME] "[NIC1]", "[NIC2]"

(Source: http://www.youritsource.org/msft/how-to-enable-nic-teaming-in-windows-8-8-1-and-10/ How To: Enable NIC Teaming in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 | YourITSource)

Which before November 2015 worked, I'm still getting an error and am not able to built a team using the Windows Teaming solution.

Perhaps I'm off-base, but I guess I'm under the impression if the underlying issues with Windows 10 itself are fixed, should I not be able to create a team using the built in OS functionality? Or does Intel's software rely on other faculties of the OS that are now patched - *even with the latest updates*?

Since it was a seemingly routine update that Microsoft delivered in November which "broke" this previously working functionality in Windows 10 (using the new-NetLBGOTeam cmdlet), I guess I'm not putting it past them to have accidentally (or purposefully) break it again with the latest cumulative update(s). My hope is the Intel ANS software will work even when net-NetLBFOTeam seems to continue to fail with the latest updates.

Any insight you can provide would be most appreciated!

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

These questions should be more targeted to Microsoft as I am not able to answer what changes are in their service updates. But I do know that the two I referenced are for two different releases of Windows 10. It looks like you already have KB3140743 installed which means when our next driver package is released, teaming will be re-enabled (assuming that the controller on the board is supported in Windows 10). Not all silicon from previous OS versions carried over to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
EDavi9
Beginner

Hi All

Thanks for having this thread. I was going nuts tonight after i JUST received 2, Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server cards from Amazon and couldn't get them to work in an LACP team on Windows 10. I was hoping to put the pair together for my hyper-v server and desktop for a bit more throughput. I was having some issues with the drivers and was led to this active discussion and the issues with NIC teaming on Windows 10. (I guess i assumed poorly that a server card wouldn't just "team" right out of the box.

Since I just bought the cards, i was thinking about returning them, but since this is sort of a home/lab environment, I'm also open to downgrading to Win 8.1 on the workstation and and upgrading the host to W2012R2 (Hyper-v host). (Both currently running Windows 10 Enterprise) Would that be an option to have a 2G bonded link between the 2 machines?

I found this page (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005962.html Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS)...), which says my particular set of cards is compatible with 8.1 and 2012R2, but it's not listed as "Full Support" - does that mean I can't use the "ProWinx64" file and use native Intel ANS on my cards? If not, will windows allow me to use Powershell or it's built-in software to built an LACP (802.3ad) bond on the 2 interfaces? Before i tear out my lab, I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply.

A few follow-up questions:

- In your post a few weeks ago you referenced two updates (KB3140743 and KB3140745). I have the '43 update, but not the '45 update. Is the '45 update simply not required for the new version of Intel ANS to be able to enable teaming?

- I realize you aren't well versed in being able to offer support on Microsoft OS-built-in teaming functionality, I was just wondering if you were aware (or, if not aware, could you find out) if ANS "piggybacks" off of the same underlying functions that allow the "new-NetLBFOTeam" cmdlet (used to build a team within Windows itself, outside of ANS). If ANS works on top of that same command and/or it's underlying libraries, I was pointing out there might be a problem as even with the latest cumulative updates installed, that command within Windows is not working (perhaps it was with just the updates you had previously mentioned, but since I can no longer install those updates as they've been preempted, I can't confirm either way).

- Given that there has been newer cumulative updates that have came out since the release of KB3140743 and KB3140745, has Intel tested against systems with these newer Microsoft patches installed in order to ensure ANS continues working as you currently expect?

- I have an Intel Gigabit VT Quad Port Server adapter I'm hoping to setup a team with. Can you confirm if this adapter will be supported when the new version of ANS is released?

- Is Intel still shooting for a June release timeframe for the new version of ANS at this time?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Question 1: From what I understand, there are two actual version of WIndows 10. One called TH1 or RTM, which uses one hotfix and the other TH2 (or 1511) that is a more updated release. If you have KBB140743 you have TH1/RTM and will never be prompted to install TH2/1511.

Question 2: No. Microsoft's native LBFO is different than our ANS teaming. ANS is our own implementation. So if there are issue with LBFO than the question will need to go to MS to answer.

Question 3: Hot fixes are issue specific. Early or later releases may/may not have anything to do with networking at all.

Question 4: The Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Port Server Adapter (Dell branded) is based on the Intel(r) 82575EB Dual Port Ethernet Controller. This controller has already announced EOL and will does not have a Intel driver package for Windows 10 (meaning, not 'retail' driver). So only the native driver in the available from Microsoft's download center is available. As such, under Windows 10 you will not have the ability to team using the Intel ANS tools. Windows 10 ANS teaming can only be supported on 1 GbE silicon and cards based on the Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I350 family and Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I210 family. This is due to not being able to receive MS WHQL certification of any of the much older controllers

Question 5. Yes.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

The PRO/1000 PT is based on the Intel(r) 82571EB Dual Port Gigabity Ethernet Controller. This controller has already announced EOL and will does not have a Intel driver package for Windows 10 (meaning, not 'retail' driver). So only the native driver in the available from Microsoft's download center is available. As such, under Windows 10 you will not have the ability to team using the Intel ANS tools. Windows 10 ANS teaming can only be supported on 1 GbE silicon and cards based on the Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I350 family and Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I210 family. This is due to not being able to receive MS WHQL certification of any of the much older controllers

0 Kudos
EDavi9
Beginner

Thanks Carl for the prompt response.

So I think I'm going to return the Intel(r) 82571EB Dual Port Gigabity Ethernet Controllers that I just purchased. (no wonder they were so cheap )

I know you aren't in sales, but could you point me to the product that would best suit my desire to have Intel ANS tools work on my Windows 10 workstation? (namely so I can Team the 2 ports together to have a 2GB connection under windows 10?)

And if it's not available yet in windows 10, can you tell me when do you suspect it will be available and what OS is it currently working on now?

I'm looking for an entry level card, something that won't break the bank.

Any advice/guidance would be very appreciative.

0 Kudos
EDavi9
Beginner

and maybe i can answer my own question here, but would this adapter work with your ANS software under windows 10? (or do i have to wait until June)

and if I can't wait until June, will these cards do what I want to do under Windows 2012R2 and Windows 8.1 right now?

i350T2v2 - dual - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-I350-T2-I350T2V2/dp/B00NG0T3NG?ie=UTF8&keywords=i350T2v2&qid=1461880442&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 Amazon.com: Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2 I350T2V2: Computers & Accessories

or

i350T4v2 - quad - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-I350-T4-I350T4V2/dp/B00NEIF65Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461880686&sr=8-1&keywords=i350T4v2 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-I350-T4-I350T4V2/dp/B00NEIF65Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461880686&sr=8-1&keywords=i350T4v2

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carl,

Can you confirm if this card will be supported:

http://ark.intel.com/products/59063/Intel-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-I350-T4 Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 Specifications

I ask, because it says it's EOL.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Because this card is based on the Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I350-AM4 which is able to received WHQL certification on our driver package, it will be supported.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Any of our 1 Gigabit Ethernet cards base on either the Intel Ethernet Controller i350 or Intel(r) Ethernet Controller I210 will have Windows 10 WHQL certified drivers available from our download site.

You can identify which controller are on these cards by reviewing our Product Selector guide (here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/gbe-server-selection-guide.html Intel® Ethernet Gigabit Server Adapter: Guide) The entry for Intel(r) Ethernet Controller will give you the silicon on the add-in card.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Carl for the prompt replies and transparency in this issue. As a life long "Intel guy" it's really fantastic to see this level of support in the forums from Intel folks.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
EDavi9
Beginner

I would agree. Thanks Carl for your prompt response and time/information.

0 Kudos
BDavi6
Beginner

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your input in this thread, I've been watching it like a hawk. Just signed up to thank you.

Can you confirm if the 82574L family will be supported? Ie, if you have 2x 82574L (Gigabit CT desktop adapter), will we be able to team them in Windows 10?

If not, I'll be getting an i350-T2. -Unless there is another newer card on the horizon?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JFerr20
Beginner

I have just tested the ver 21.0 drivers on my HP EliteDesk 800 G1 with the built-in I217-LM adapter, Win 10 1511 x64. VLAN did not work - still greyed out. I checked to see if the update listed (KB3140743) was installed and found that it had been superseded (KB3156421), which is installed. Are the drivers taking into account the new cumulative update versions? What happens on a fresh install that don't get the older versions? Wouldn't it be easier to turn teaming/VLAN back on and tell everyone to just get the latest updates from MS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In post # 74, Carl_Wilson noted that it would be supported in "Network Adapter Driver package version 21.0".

When I go here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

It does says version "21.0", but at the top of the page very clearly states:

"Creating Intel ANS teams and VLANs on Windows® 10 is currently not supported. As a result, when created, teams and VLANs do not pass traffic. We expect that ANS will be supported on Windows 10 client in a future release."

So... While it's not yet June, this *is* version 21.0. I guess I'm confused.

Will support be added in a v21.0.x release, sometime in June? Or was there a reason why support was skipped in the (earlier than expected) v21.0 release that just came out?

I'm hoping Carl_Wilson can help explain what's going on.

0 Kudos