Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit won't obtain internet speed above 100 Mbps

idata
Employee

Hi.

I've just recently bought a new NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 WNR 2000 v2 Router that should give an internet speed of up to 300 Mbps. For this reason I have wired (not wireless) from a LAN-port to my PC which have an Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection installed.

When I go to my Network and Sharing Center - Change adapter settings, and then rightclick on my 82566DM-2 connection I can check my internet speed if I click on 'Status'.

To my surprise I've only got a speed of 100.0 Mbps, even though my PC is wired to the router.

In the next room, close to this, my son is surfing on an Acer 5742G with an Atheros AR5B97 Wireless network adapter. When I check his adapter's 'Status' it's showing a internet speed of 300 Mbps!! How is this possible? Shouldn't a wired connection give a much better internet speed?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Eksekiel

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

I think you are confusing the link speed of the adapter to the connection speed of a wireless connection. Also your NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 WNR 2000 v2 Router does NOT support a Gigabit link, in order for it to read higher than 100 Mbps you must get a Gigabit router like http://support.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/17702 http://support.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/17702

the above router has 4 Gigabit ports, and when connected to an Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network adapter your LINK speed will read 1 Gbps, I myself am running a dual port server adapter and with the appropriate driver can set up a network team that will show a link speed of 2 Gbps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Glenn!

Thanx for your quick reply. I'm a little bit confused. Do you say that my new NETGEAR Router can't deliver internet speed above 100 Mbps together with a wired connection?

Is my Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection able to deliver internet speed above 100.0 Mbps at all?

Should I skip the wired connection to the Intel 82566DM-2 and instead buy an wireless adapter that also deliver speeds up to 300 Mbps?

Kind regards

Ernst

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Ernst,

Your router has a maximum wired connection speed of 100 Mbps. Your routers connection to the Internet Service Provider's equipment also has a maximum speed of 100 Mbps. More than likely the 100 Mbps is much faster than your actual Internet connection, so you will not need anything faster than 100 Mbps connection to your computer when connecting to the Internet.

In the case of your router, the supported speed is faster than the maximum wired speed. But most of the time, that difference probably will not matter. Also with the wired connection, you do not have to worry about sharing the airwaves with other devices operating in the same radio frequency band.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark.

So what you're saying is that my Router has a limit of 100 Mbps to any wired connection? Is the 300 Mbps ( stated on the box it came with ) just for wireless adapters?

And to a correct wireless adapter ( meant for speed up to 300 Mbps ) it will be able to deliver 300 Mbps to the laptop/PC?

Thanx for your reply. Excuse me for not being to familiar with this.

Kind regards

Ernst

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Ernst,

Yes the 300 Mbps reference is for the wireless connections. And yes, with the right wireless adapter, you could get up to 300 Mbps connection speed to your computer.

I looked at the User Manual for your router at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/products/WNR2000v2/Documentation/UM/WNR2000v2_UM_15JAN2010.pdf ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/products/WNR2000v2/Documentation/UM/WNR2000v2_UM_15JAN2010.pdf to see the specifications. Table A-2 gives the interface specifications for your wired connections as 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45. THe 100BASE-Tx is the standard that allows up to 100 Mbps on your wired connection.

Have a great day.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark.

Thanx once again for your clear answer.

I've been aware now that I need a different Router to solve the problem. I guess one magic way is to change the Router, at my local dealer, to the Netgear WNR3500L. Or a different brand with similar specs.

Do you have any knowledge of the VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter v2.33 ( 2004/01/05). This adapter is in one of my desktop PC's I want a wired connection to. Will this adapter connect up to 300 Mbps together with the Netgear WNR3500L, or will I need a new Gigabit PCI adapter for this PC in order to gain the 300 Mbps speed I want.

Again, thanx for your answers so far.

:-)

Eksekiel

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Eksekiel,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. One of the nice things about Ethernet is that you can wire two different Ethernet partners together, and they can quickly establish a working link. If one partner is can go faster than the other partner, then the faster partner will slow down to match the slower partner.

If you upgrade your router to support gigabit (also referred to as 1 Gbps or 1000 Mbps) Ethernet, then you could get a gigabit speed connection if BOTH partners that speed.

I am not familiar with the Fast Ethernet adapter that you are asking about, but the name of the adapter likely refers to the adapter's top speed. Fast Ethernetwas the common way to refer to connections at 100 Mbps. When Fast Ethernet was new, "fast" meant something. 100 Mbps was 10 times faster than the 10 Mbps Ethernet adapters that were common at the time.

Today, you have many home routers that support gigabit Ethernet, which is 10 times faster than Fast Ethernet. However, many home users find that 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet) is plenty fast enough on their home networks, because the Internet connection leaving their home is much, much slower than 100 Mbps.

No matter what wired Ethernet adapter you use, you will not find one that will connect at 300 Mbps. 300 Mbps is not a wired Ethernet speed. Your link speed on your home wired Ethernet will be 1000 Mbps (Gigabit), 100 Mbps (Fast), or 10 Mbps. The two ends of the connection will agree on a speed that both sides can use.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos