Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel 82574L Broken - Win 2012 R2

idata
Employee

The Intel drivers, PROSet, Advanced Network Service, Powershell Module, and Intel SNMP agent are *not* functioning whatsoever in Windows 2012 R2. I've tried an install on multiple machines using the latest 18.7 driver set and a after a clean install of Windows. I am able to get connectivity with limited features, using the built-in Microsoft ver. 12.6.47.1 March, 28, 2013 drivers. The error message at install states "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer." My adapter is built onto the motherboard and resides at PCI bus 4 and 5. To troubleshoot this, I did verify the Windows Device Manager Service was started. I also checked the release notes in several previous releases to see if there are any possible work arounds. No luck. While I realize R2 was just released to the public this past month, it was in beta for quite some time. I hope a fix can be found. The Intel 82574L integrated network adapter is found on *almost* every server grade system I've ever worked on. Whether a supermicro, intel, or asus motherboard - this chip is certainly always present. This is a serious problem for Windows 2012 R2 users. I did not have the same issue on the non-R2 version.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The driver for the 82574L network connections is the same driver used for the Intel® Gigabit CT, ET, and EF adapters. Those adapters are not fully supported in Windows Server 2012 R2, which is why you didn't find a driver and software for them when you tried to install the package.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-034449.htm Is my Intel® Ethernet Adapter supported in Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2*? lists those adapters as only having inbox support. Here is what that page lists for "In-Box Support":

• Driver and software updates are not planned for adapters with only in-box

support. These adapters cannot be updated using automated or manual methods.
  • Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager and Advanced Network Services

(ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS are not included with in-box support.
  • To add an adapter with in-box support to a team

using multi-vendor teaming (MVT), see the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&DwnldID=11848 user guide.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

I was aware of the CT driver as it relates to the 82574L, but I'm not sure why Intel would discontinue the PROset functions. Reason being, this adapter is in almost every server I've worked on. Only Haswell servers have an updated NIC, but Ivy Bridge all the way back seem to all have the 82574L. AsRock, Asus, Supermicro, and many others exclusively use it. I did find a post on the forums on how to force driver install. It involves opening the .INI file and adding the device IDs under Intel.NTamd64.6.3. This also requires a restart after disabling both integrity and driver signature. But once its installed you can safely turn those items back on. What frustrates me is if I'm able to get this to work, why can't Intel update their drivers (signed)? I'm sure they *must* realize how many of the 82574L's are out in the wild, especially in the datacenter environment. Hmm.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 updated hardware requirements to receive WHQL certification for network devices. Some older devices like the Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller (launched in Q2,2009) no longer meet the latest hardware requirements for Windows Hardware Qualification Lab certification. Therefore, only Microsoft's inbox drivers are available for this controller.

Intel® PROSet cannot support the Operating Systems inbox driver in order to expose the advanced feature controls. However, Windows Server 2012 and later do include integrated teaming support which would allow you to use native Windows teaming instead of using the PROSet utility. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40319 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40319 for Windows Server 2012 R2 NIC Teaming (LBFO) Deployment and Management documentation.

Mark

0 Kudos
abbb2
Beginner

macguy25 wrote:

I did find a post on the forums on how to force driver install. It involves opening the .INI file and adding the device IDs under Intel.NTamd64.6.3. This also requires a restart after disabling both integrity and driver signature. But once its installed you can safely turn those items back on.

Can you give link or give more info how to do it?

0 Kudos
AWrig3
Beginner

I came across this with my Asus servers that I installed Server 2012 R2 on.

I was able to get around this by downloading the latest network driver from Asus (Intel_LAN_VER20131105.zip) and extracted it to a folder on my desktop. Then using device manager found the Intel 82574L and right click update driver, manually pointing to the previously extracted folder. Drivers were sucessfully installed.

Then I downloaded the latest network driver installer from Intel and ran it. It was now able to detect the Intel 82574L's and install the driver. Now AMS works perfectly.

KAstl
Beginner

AJWright = Lifesaver

Thanks Man! I have a Thecus W4000 that was having the same problem and the ASUS driver workaround fixed it, too. NIC teaming now works.

0 Kudos
JAmin
Beginner

Any chances you guys can provide a link to those drivers from the asus website?

I currently have a IP65 APC-3797 Desktop with windows 8.1 pro with the exact same problem. I need to upgrad to the new drivers in order to team both of the nic

0 Kudos
DWelt
Beginner

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1006716/ I want to use the Ethernet feature of ASUS RS740-E7-RS24-EG(Z9PE-D16-10G/DUAL ). Where can I get the Ethernet driver for…

0 Kudos