Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4905 Discussions

Intel 82579V Issue

SGarl
Beginner

<><> Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place <><>

Ok I'll keep this brief.

Problem:- LAN regulary disconnects and reconnets 30 seconds later.

Symptons:- Loose connection to Lan / Internet for around 30 seconds.

Background:- Had this problem with both P8P67 B2 and P8P67 pro boards. I have several other computers connected to the switch (not hub) and they are working fine. Have replaced the lead to no avail. Have even used the same lead in several other computers which works fine.

Config:-

Study

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Server

VOIP

PC

Switch connected to lounge hard wired via outdoor sheilded cat6 lead.

Lounge

Netgear 8 port SWITCH 10/100/1000

Router

XBOX 360

Wii

<><><>

Message in System Event Logs;-

<><>

Warning message - date time - source = e1cexpress

Event ID = 27

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

- Network link is disconnected

<><>

Then it states its connected again.

Have also tried the following;-

Remove Kaspersky 2011

Ensure ALL power management even OS is disabled

Use IPV4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies

Disable nativue IPv6

Disable tunnel IPv6

Disable IPv6

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disabled SNP;-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]

EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000

EnableTCPA=dword:00000000

EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Have tried driver from Asus MB CD, Asus Website, Your Website, Windows Update all to no avail.

Please help.

0 Kudos
231 Replies
idata
Employee

It coudn't resolve the problem but Thank you about the firmware.

I got message like this and it seems never updated.... I'm using ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z with latest bios.

C:\>82579V~1.exe -nosilent

LVDASKU version 1.2.2

Tool to update Lewisvillie NVM ASKU

Copyright (c) 2012 Intel Corporation

Scanning...

# Ven Dev SVen Sdev Rev ST Device

-----------------------------------

1. 8086 1503 1043 849C 5 -- Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

U = needs updating

S = shared NVM; no update needed

* = update already performed

- = no update possible

No update required.

0 Kudos
JC5
Beginner

Hi Mark,

I'm still having issues with my 82579V adapter. I have tried changing cables to a machine-made cable. I have disabled all of the power management features. I have Wake on Magic Packet and Wake on Magic Packet from power off state checked, but Wake on Link and Wake on Pattern Match are unchecked. Following another thread, I have also set 1Gbps full duplex, set Interrupt Moderation to Disabled and Forced Slave Mode (I have also tried Forced Master Mode). Nothing I have tried has prevented my machine from waking up due to the adapter. Each time it wakes up, there is an event logged that says:

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Network link is disconnected.

This is followed by:

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex.

The network works fine, it just wakes the machine. I can't think of any reason why a machine on this small network would be sending a WOL packet.

Any help would be appreciated. For the time being, I'm using the Realtek secondary adapter on this motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue here.

Have a Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard.

It has the Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Cnnection.

Windows 8 PRO

"When ever I set the computer to "Put the computer to sleep: any time from 1 min to 1 hour"

it also disables the Intel 82579V Network Connection.

If setting the computer to NEVER sleep the network connection works ok.

Latest drivers are installed.

I was able to run the NVM 82579V.exe -nosilent ok. IT said no change required.

Where do you turn OFF power save "let the computer turn this device off" setting Like we could on Win 7 ?

I tried to insert a photo of the Win 8 Device Manager showing the "power management" tab. It is way different that in Win 7.

I couldn't see a place to uncheck turn off when power save is active.

Message was edited by: Jerry Wolfer Here is what fixed my problem with the 82579V. For other reasons I had to reinstall Win 8 pro on my P8Z77-V PRO motherboard. I did NOT install the Intel chip set software from Asus. The drivers that came with Win 8 Pro do NOT have the problem of sleeping the 82579V. Problem solved, at least for me, just do NOT use the crappy drivers from Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue with me except I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H MB. I'm gave up on Intel and am using the other NIC controller on the Gigabyte MB. All the issues went away immediately.

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

Hey Mark, since I paid for a board that I expected to access my NIC without all these problems, can Intel send me another NIC card I could plug into a slot that will work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We had the problem aswell.

We ended up making a batch that went in the windows start up that would enable and disable the network card.

Because after that it would work!

Intel should of recalled the card though! USELESS

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

Isn't it sad when their paying customers have to come up with solutions to their problems.

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

Lewis, can you send me a copy of that .bat?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

After installing Windows 8 on my p8z68-v pro gen3 motherboard the adapter would fail after sleep. Windows generic drivers or latest intel drivers made no difference, or any other settings helped. However this nvram update

fixed it for me, and the network adapter now resumes correctly after sleep. Thanks!

regards

André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having a very similar issue to this. I have a Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard with the build in Intel 82579V Gigabit adapter on it which I just purchased to build a brand new computer. I installed the Windows 7 OS on it and since I have not been able to negotiate to 1000full and my connection periodically drops. It also takes 10-15 seconds to negotiate a connection of any kind and when it does I get 100full only. I have the latest BIOS from ASUS, and I've tried the NVRAM update and am running the 17.4 version of the drivers and utilities. I even wiped and re-installed my OS to see if that would fix the issue. I've spent at least 10 hours trying to figure this out.

This is very frustrating. I expect far better from Intel. Based on this thread this issue has been going on for quite some time with this particular nic. To me purchasing a secondary NIC to fix the problem is unacceptable.

Is there any update to this? Is there a way to expedite? Or should I just return these products?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have got similiar problem on MSI Z77A-GD55 Mb, after connection the link speed was 100Mbs, instead of 1Gbps It seems to me 82579V is more sensitive to UTP cable than other NICs, because same UTP was working on Nvidia and Marvell Gigabit NICs, but not 82579V. Besides, according to intel cable test everything was ok. Problem solved with factory CAT6 cable, orange LED and 1Gbps without any data loss.

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

Well, after reading everyone's problem here, I feel right at home and I have an INTEL mb - a DZ68BC to be exact. Same problem. PC boots from power off and will get the little network icon in system tray with the red X and no connectivity with a code 10 "This device cannot be started". As many others have stated, they go to Device Manager, disable then enable the adapter and it's fine reboot after reboot. This problem only occurs when starting from power off. I have updated my BIOS to Intel's latest. Used the most up to date drivers and no luck. It seems to me that there is some kind of conflict going on during Windows 7 startup that is preventing the driver from properly initializing. Sometimes I get the little round circle (activity) over the network icon for a few seconds before I get the red X. This is so frustrating for a $200 motherboard!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I'll be damned... purchasing a high quality Cat6 cable fixed all my issues. I retract my earlier statement about Intel.

*sheepishly retreats into corner*

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

No such luck on my part! - All I use is Cat6. But I did try with a Cat5 to no avail.

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

After some experimentation, I find I don't even have to disable and enable the driver. If I power on, the device doesn't start but if I reboot without doing anything the device kicks in perfect on the reboot. C'mon Intel, I seem to be narrowing this down pretty well here!!!

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Joe M,

Sometimes problems with certain items of hardware failing to start can be caused by conflicts with other hardware. Just for testing purposes, it'd be worth trying with a minimal configuration ie no cards plugged into any slots apart from absolutely essential ones and all non-essential USB/Firewire devices unplugged. It'd also be worth specifying your system hardware including PSU make and model as even brand new PSUs can sometimes prove to have 'compatibility' issues with some hardware (even though it may be within spec). Testing with an entirely different (spare or borrowed) PSU would help to rule out a PSU compatibility issue. Have you found many posts about the same issue on Intels Motherboard Support forum - if it was a common motherboard issue that'd be the place to find such discussion.

0 Kudos
jmalz
Beginner

Checking on MB threads is a good thought that hadn't occurred to me. But I can tell you that this is a brand new 700W Corsair PSU. I built this PC not 3 months ago and everything is working flawless except for this LAN Adapter issue which has occured from day 1. I also did strip the PC of all cards, drivers and non essential devices and the same thing consistently happens. Someone on this thread mention earlier that they think the BIOS is reinitializing the device upon startup. Is this possible? Something is definitely happening during either shutdown or startup because the device consistently fails to start after startup but will consistently start after a reboot (no shutdown). I have a very hard time believing this is a hardware issue since the device works fine after reboot.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Hardware 'issues' can definitely be responsible for such unusual behaviour (including misconfiguration of hardware). I replaced the failed power supply on my old (non-Intel) motherboard many years ago. I used a PSU that was 'to spec' (more than powerful enough) and from a reputable maker. Soon after, I discovered that this PC would no longer restart normally when the PC had been running for some time (i.e. when the PSU got warm) but it would shut down fine under such circumstances (and providing I waited a minute or so after shut down, I could power it on again fine as well). Swapping back to the original PSU resulted in this problem behaviour going away. I think if this was an issue with the board, Intel would have been flooded with posts on the motherboard support forum about the issue and it'd be widespread public knowledge by now.

There's something about your particular setup that's responsible for this. When you updated the BIOS were there any cards installed in slots and was everything running at stock speeds and settings? If not, as with my testing in a minimal configuration suggestion, try again with everything at standard/default settings. The same goes for the OS installation. Just removing those bits after the OS has been installed may not be enough. It'd also be worth checking that all drivers were installed in the correct order according to Intel's guidance on the topic (search 'driver installation order' on their support site) as doing that in the wrong order can also cause problems.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Joe,

I had an email exchange with some colleagues who support desktop boards. They are not sure what is causing your problem, but some additional information might help narrow things down.

Please boot into your system setup screen and let us know the version shown for your Intel(R) Management Engine Firmware.

Also, which CPU is installed? Do you have a second generation or 3rd generation processor? You can tell from the CPU model number digit after the dash being 2 or 3. This is an example of a third generation processor:: I7-3770.

Another theory is that some devices are taking too long to start and causing an issue with the LAN connection. Some possible things that might help or at least provide troubleshooting clues is slowing down the boot up process by adding a 5 second delay to the SATA settings. Or you could try disabling devices that yhou will not use such as the serial port, IR, and 1394 port. I don't know if any of these things will make a difference in having your LAN working when you boot up, but if you try any of these things, let me know the results. I will pass on the information and let you know anything I find out.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I started facing this same issue last night, after a cold start of the machine I got Code 10 on the 82579V NIC.

The issue happend before but I tought it was related to a wrong driver installation of mine so I reinstalled Windows and the issue went away.

This morning I was ready to reinstall the system again and by magic it came back online.

As I read that it could be due to issues like shorting or similar I checked yesterday the complete system and everything is clean, no possibility of shorting and I'm connected to a secured powerline.

So to be sure I removed the power cord of the system for the whole night and this morning the NIC came back.

I'm not sure if it is related but that's what I did.

I tried the NVM update but not update was required.

This is the content of the report:

Execution report for Intel(R) "LVDASKU" tool.

Generated on Wed Jan 02 06:32:55 2013

1 Intel(R) device(s) were discovered.

1. Adapter # /Bus/Device/Function: (1, 0/25/0)

1. ID: 8086/1503/1043/849C

1. Branding: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

1. MAC Address: **************** (I removed this) 

1. EEPROM size: 2048

This device matches the [match] section.

Value read from 776:20: C069

This is an 82579V device.

There are 1 device(s) that match the required inputs.

Of these, 0 need(s) updating.

This device's NVM/EEPROM will not be updated.

This device's Flash will not be updated.

My system information:

Intel 3770K

Asus Maximus V Formula

Windows 8 PRO 64Bit

Windows 7 PRO 64bit

(happend on both OS)

Latest Intel Lan driver from Intel site and Intel Lan driver from Asus site

(happend with both drivers)

Cisco SLM2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch - No power saving options in the configuration available.

Let's hope this issue gets resolved so I don't have to buy a seperate NIC. I already had to buy a separate sound card due to issues between the NVIDIA HDMI interface (even without using it) and the onboard Realtek soundcard in some applications.

M.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@manub

I do not know if either of these suggestions will fix the issue you support, but I would try them if the PC was mine:

1. Upgrade to the latest BIOS. The last one I see posted is version 1408 dated 2012/11/15. Updating the BIOS is usually worth a try with built-in network connection issues.
  2. Upgrade the Intel Management Engine Firmware, which shows up under firmware in the downloads. Since the management engine can use the network connection, updating firmware and drivers related to the management engine might help.
  3. You might consider applying any other updates that apply to your PC too, just in case conflicts from another component are causing the problem.

You can find the downloads at http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/maximus-v-formula/ http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/maximus-v-formula/. (You probably already have this link, but I thought I would include it for anyone reading the post.)

I am thinking the issue is not driver related (especially since you have tried the latest drivers) so one of the other updates might help.

Mark H

0 Kudos