Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5026 Discussions

Intel I210 NICs MAC addresses

Ye-Chen
Beginner

Dear Intel, I have two Intel I210 NICs on the board, the MAC address is 0000C0000000, the virtual mac is valid, for example 34AD61FB1500 (dispalyed in BIOS). I use eeupdate tool to update the MAC address and it updated the virtual mac address instead of mac address. I wonder how to update mac address. In addition, which mac address the OS will use? Why there are two mac addresses? Thanks, Ye

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hello Ye-Chen,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community.

As per your query about changing the MAC ID, we have a dedicated team who can help you with this. Kindly refer to the link below to connect with the Intel Embedded Community.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

Additionally, for your technical queries, please find the information below:

If your server has two Ethernet adapters, the operating system will use the MAC address of the adapter that is actively handling network traffic. This depends on the network configuration and which adapter is set as the primary or active adapter.

Each Ethernet adapter has its own unique MAC address because the MAC address is a hardware identifier that uniquely identifies each network interface on a network. Having two Ethernet adapters allows for redundancy (failover) and improved performance (load balancing). Redundancy ensures that if one adapter fails, the other can take over, providing continuous network connectivity.

Please do not hesitate in contact us, we are more than glad to assist you.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hello Ye-Chen,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community.

As per your query about changing the MAC ID, we have a dedicated team who can help you with this. Kindly refer to the link below to connect with the Intel Embedded Community.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

Additionally, for your technical queries, please find the information below:

If your server has two Ethernet adapters, the operating system will use the MAC address of the adapter that is actively handling network traffic. This depends on the network configuration and which adapter is set as the primary or active adapter.

Each Ethernet adapter has its own unique MAC address because the MAC address is a hardware identifier that uniquely identifies each network interface on a network. Having two Ethernet adapters allows for redundancy (failover) and improved performance (load balancing). Redundancy ensures that if one adapter fails, the other can take over, providing continuous network connectivity.

Please do not hesitate in contact us, we are more than glad to assist you.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Azeem_Intel:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We need to clarify that this forum is not related to an Intel Embedded Platform.

Due to this, the customer request is out of our scope of support.

Please consider this information when you provide the previous suggestion, or transfer any forums to the channel that you mentioned in your previous communication.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos