Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility not able to add, edit or delete VLANS after installing Intel Performance Maximizer Tool.

THalv1
Beginner

It looks like the installation of the Intel Performance Maximizer Tool somehow installs a UI framework that messes with the PROSet Adapter utility. The window to add, edit or delete VLANs is getting enlarged to a point where there are no buttons visible:

https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/5wb8RajXxAMAm6A

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Forum.

We need to gather the configuration of your system as this may be handy in investigating your concern. 

Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility. You can download it from this link. 

Also, when you uninstall the performance maximizer, does this put everything back to normal or the UI framework stays on the system?

Looking forward to your reply. Should we not hear from you, we will check back after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
THalv1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your reply. Uninstall didn't help. I attached the results of the System Support Utility.

Best Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for providing those logs.

After initial analysis, we would like to ask by any chance did your Windows also update itself when you initially installed the Intel Performance Maximizer tool?

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
THalv1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

I actually had this problem before but didn't find the conflicting app/settings so I completely reinstalled windows and checked after every update and software installation if the PROSet Utility still worked. And just after I installed the Intel Performance Maximizer Tool after it rebooted again the buttons in the PROSet utility were gone. So I think I nailed the suspect here ;-)

Thanks a lot and Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

We appreciate the time and your effort in doing extensive tests to your system just to point out which is one the culprit.

We will need some time to investigate on this. Our investigation may involve simulating the issue.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your patience.

We still need more time to check on your concern.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
THalv1
Beginner

Hi Alfred

No Problem. As I actually need to add a new VLAN virtual adapter I tried to access the hidden 'New' Button with shift-Tab which luckily worked - just as it may be helpful to solve the issue:

https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/rH6eJDS3Q5KtR5m

Best Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing that workaround. It will surely help anyone who is having this problem and stumbled on this thread.

We do not know if what we are doing is still essential to you, as you managed to find a workaround. We have spent the last few days thoroughly checking the issue, and we would ask your cooperation if you are still willing to continue with the ticket for the following information:

1. Please generate system and application log from Event Viewer using the most updated driver or version:"12.18.9.23" which is the one currently installed when you sent me the logs.
  2. Have you tried to use the driver with version "12.18.9.7" provided by ASUS because this is customized and tailored for your motherboard https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II/HelpDesk_Download/?
  3. We noticed that you are using a resolution of 3840 X 2160, can you try lowering the resolution one step lower to test if the issue is still there?

Looking forward to hear from you. Should we not hear from you, we will check back with you after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
THalv1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

I'm happy to help.

1. Please find the logs here: https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/fnbzLbSEHn5CbiF , https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/eSSjzriF7DjYZBe
  2. When I first encountered the issue - before Windows reinstall - I was actually using Asus' drivers for the adapter.
  3. I tried changing the screen resolution several times as I suspected it as well being an issue - especially as the frames on the VLAN/Teaming dialog box seems stretched out as you can see here: https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/6NG7PNePMeycZ8L . (Note: stretching happens after installing the Performance Optimizer Tool for the CPU). Furthermore, I also tried every hiDPI settings for the app as well as compatibility settings. I also booted in safe mode with just network drivers enabled. Nothing has helped so far.

Thank you and best Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
THalv1
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

Wow, I just found the problem. I was thinking it must be something interface/resolution-specific, some UI element that the Performance Optimizer tool installs and/or updates. It turns out that it's a font issue. Apparently the optimizer tool installs some Intel fonts that mess up the PROSet Adapter utility. I removed those fonts and the buttons reappeared :-)

The fonts in question: https://nc.home.tjh.ch/index.php/s/64t7AZkdK2q3aad

Best Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

We guess we can say WOW as well. Thank you for again sharing with us that genius discovery.

We will take note of the resolution that you have found, and again we are sure that other community members who will stumble to the same issue would find your insight very helpful.

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Forum.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

Just checking if you have any further questions or feedback regarding this.

Should we not hear from you, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Thomas,

We are following up on your thread that is still open where you are inquiring about the issue that you had experienced when you have installed the Intel Performance Maximizer while using Intel® PROset. We know that this is important for you to get your questions answered and it is also equally important for us to give you the right answers. Since we have not heard from you for several days, the case will automatically close.

You may want to post a new thread once you are ready to proceed with the issue.

Thank you for choosing Intel.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos