Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4894 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V connection drop (Z790 Board)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I currently have a problem with my onboard network card (I226-V). The card is installed on a MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI DDR5 (the board is new). It sporadically has no uplink at system startup. The problem can be solved by deactivating and reactivating the network adapter under Windows.

The error occurs sporadically and cannot be reproduced directly. The error 27 is displayed in the Windows Event Viewer (source: e2fnexpress).

I use the current driver from the MSI homepage in version 2.1.1.14. The problem also occurs under a freshly installed Windows. Once the uplink is established, the network card does not lose it anymore.

The problem therefore only occurs occasionally when rebooting. I have connected the network card directly to the cable modem. Even an interconnected switch or the exchange of the cable did not solve the problem.

Here is a link to the used driver:
https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z790-EDGE-WIFI/support#driver

I would be grateful for possible solutions.

many thanks

0 Kudos
26 Replies
SergejKiller
Beginner

Have not observed the issue on  the latest drivers yet.

0 Kudos
Ankoo
New Contributor I

Hello drzoidberg80

I bought a MSI Z790 EDGE WIFI (DDR5) like you (which I haven't installed yet), but I saw that many users have random connection drops because of the i226-V ethernet controller,

do you fix your issue ? Or do you advise me to take a Z690 to get an i225-v?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I was able to solve the problem by installing the latest driver and replacing my HP switch with a Netgear switch (or connecting the LAN cable directly to the LAN port). After that, at least in my testing time, I had no more problems.

However, I did have a problem with the RGB controller. According to MSI, there was a defect. A warranty exchange was made and I received a brand new board. Since the change took me too long and my computer would have been out of order for several weeks, I bought an additional board (Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX- also Z790). However, this no longer uses an Intel adapter but a Realtek
Deicider78
Beginner

Hi all, I too have the problem that I occasionally have no connection at system startup.
The problem has appeared since the first installation and continues to this day.
I've tried reinstalling the OS, countless drivers, and 4 different BIOS versions.

My configuration is:

INTEL i9 13900K CPU
MOTHERBOARD MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR5
BIOS I've tried:
- 7D91vH1
- 7D91vH2
- 7D91vH4
- 7D91vH5

Drivers for I226-V currently installed:
Intel 2.1.3.3
I also tried to change the "speed and duplex" to 1GBps and later also to change the connection cables to the network switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1016D), currently I use category 7 cable.

None of my attempts have led to the solution, are you still trying to find the solution to the problem or should I proceed to ask the dealer for a replacement?

Thanks for your interest Federico

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel

Hi,

Intel still continue working towards finding/providing a robust solution while at the same time keep improving the driver, hence you may keep following this topics on the Intel Communication: Intel® Ethernet Controller I226 Series-Random connection drops at random times as per link below. We deeply appreciate your patience and comprehension regarding this matter. We apologies for the inconvenience caused. Otherwise you may contact your OEM or Retailer for further assistance.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Communication-Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I226-Series-Random/td-p/1453177/page/3

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
ZoyitaFour
Novice

I just came here with this same problem and the only solution I can see exist is buying a motherboard that does not uses this intel i226-V ethernet controller, I cant afford to buy a Gigabyte motherboard (I just bought this very expensive MPG z790 Carbon wifi on May and was almost 400$) I know that If i talk to MSI they might send me a new motherboard but that wont fix this problem with this bad hardware situation. I need a stable direct connection cant depend or rely of the wifi as am Iam a livestreamer. Sp Intel what are you waiting for to release a new driver update with a fix? is almost a year with this problem. I have 822mbps download speed and 0 upload speed with this controller, there seems to be an incompatibility with the potent Fios. Already turned off manually ipv6 and no improvements.

0 Kudos