Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel X552 Thermal issue

SG17
Beginner

Hello,

I am running into what I believe is a thermal issue with the X552 Network chip. I am loosing network connection at about 47 Degrees Celsius based on a temperature sensor I've connected to the chips heatsink, then when the system has cooled down a little the connection re-appears.

I am running the system on Centos 7.9, and when running the Ethtool command I can confirm the following about the chip.

driver: ixgbe
version: 5.1.0-k-rh7.7
firmware-version: 0x800005b9

I am able to dump the register from the chip but I cannot find anything regarding the temperature or the thermal limits for shutdown. 

I understand the system is running the chip close to its limits but the specifications state 55 degrees which I believe the chip should still be under.

Do you know how I can check the on board thermal sensor reading and how I can check these thermal limit value at which the chip will shutdown the PHY.

I´m concerned that the stated accuracy of the thermal chip being +/- 3 DegC and that the thermal limit might take this into account means that the chip is shutting off before it reaches its specified limit of 55 DegC.

Thanks,

SG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Achilles_Intel

Hello SG17,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear about this problem that you encountered with your X552 network chip. Just to further check as well, can you share with us what is the brand and model of the motherboard of your system?

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns. We will reach out after 3 business days should not receive an update from you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SG17
Beginner

Thanks for the reply,

The motherboard is from Supermicro Inc and Product no is MBD-X10SDV-7TP8F-O.

SG

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SG17,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Thank you for the quick reply. For us to further check the issue, Can you provide the following details.

1. Are you using an onboard X552 network card?
  2. Can you also share a screenshot of the high temperature reading?
  3. When did you start having this issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SG17
Beginner

Hi,

1. Are you using an onboard X552 network card?

The X552 chip is built into the motherboard

2. Can you also share a screenshot of the high temperature reading?

I cannot, we are using the PC in a scientific instrument. We were running a test in a controlled environment, but the test campaign is now finished and in ambient conditions where it is it is not a problem. it was an external temperature chip that we used to measure the chip sensor, and it reached 47 degrees. It was placed on the chips heatsink, so I understand there will be some offset, but there is good thermal conduction between the chip, the heatsink and the sensor, so I do not expect it to be 8 degrees. 

3. When did you start having this issue?

During a test campaign with controlled heating(temperatures below chip specifications).

I mostly just want to know how to access the onboard temperature value of the X552 chip please? is there any commanding I can do over Linux that gives me access to this information? 

Thanks,

SG

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SG17,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Regarding your inquiry, it is best to contact SuperMicro since the network card is onboard and the all the sensors are being controlled by the board. They are the one who can further explain on how to access the the onboard temperature value. Here is the link of your board, you may start contacting them by clicking on Support.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-7TP8F

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SG17,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to SuperMicro for further assistance. I hope they will provide the details that you need since the are the best team who can provide the details.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SG17,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another message to check if you still have clarifications and hoping that you are now talking to SuperMicro for the details that you are requesting. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

You may receive an invitation to take a survey in a few days. We value your feedback and look forward to hearing about your support experience.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SG17,

Aside from SuperMicro, you may also post this inquiry in Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors - Intel Communities. Reason behind this is the Intel x552 Ethernet controller is an Silicon on Chip (SOC) of a processor. An Intel dedicated team may also support you with your inquiry.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos