Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5098 Discussions

Intel(r) Ethernet controller (3) I225-V and ethernet not working

Tyler6
Beginner

So I had recently built a new pc and once I got it all setup with installing all the drivers and such, I go plug in the ethernet cord and there is no connection. I go to the device manager and it says that Intel(r) Ethernet controller (3) I225-V is working properly but in events it says *attached file*. I really have no clue how to fix this issue. Please feel free to ask any further questions and I can try to answer them tot he best of my ability.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Dominiek
Beginner

Hi,

As replied here above, the real issue is that both Intel and MSI provide, in their latest versions of the drivers for this NIC, a driver that is signed. But is signed with an expired certificate. Windows refuses to work with this driver.

The solution  is to get  an older, but signed with a still valid vertificate, driver for this NIC, from MS.

The solution?

• I deleted the ethernet device in the windows device manager.
  • rebooted my Win machine
  • Made sure that I was running over my WIFI.
  • I forced a windows update.
  • Windows update told me that there was a driver missing for the NIC
  • Installed that driver, through Win update and everything was OK.
    The driver details are driver provider Intel; Driver date; 23/11/2022 (which is pretty old); driver version 22.190.0.4; driver signer MS.
    It looks like MS does a far better job in main their certificates than MSI and Intel. Cudos for MS.

Note: do not use the the MSI Driver Utility Installer. Nor the Intel driver kit. It will install a badly signed version of this driver.

Note: I raised a ticked for this issue both at MSI and Intel and got pointed to the '' here are the latest drivers links".

0 Kudos
Adbaman
Beginner

Having this same issue with the msi pro z790-p ddr4 motherboard, ethernet port is acting like its non functional, drivers installed correctly from msi's drivers website along with windows update and even intels lan drivers. Nothing works, how do I get my ethernet to work?? 

Wifi is working fine just the ethernet port is acting like it doesnt exist....

0 Kudos
Dominiek
Beginner

Hi,

ethernet port is acting like its non functional,

• drivers installed correctly from msi's drivers website along with windows update (.msi drivers won't work, been there) and
  • even intels lan drivers. (Intel's and MSI's drivers are refused by Windows as they are seen as outdated by Windows.) 

Nothing works, how do I get my ethernet to work?? 

You are missing a few steps.

• deleted the ethernet device in the windows device manager.
  • rebooted the Win machine
  • Made sure that you are running over WIFI only.
  • force a windows update (not a driver update only),
  • Windows update tells you that there is a driver missing for the NIC
  • Installed this driver, through Win the update utility and hope for better.

Note: The driver details are  provide by 

• Intel; Driver date; 23/11/2022 (which is pretty old);
  • MS driver version 22.190.0.4;

Note: do not use the the MSI Driver Utility Installer. Nor the Intel driver kit. It will install a badly signed version of this driver.

Have a nice day,

-dc

0 Kudos
Heavens-Eagle
Beginner

Exact same problem with an MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 motherboard.  The Ethernet has NEVER worked.  I even did an RMA where the company I bought the motherboard from sent me another board.  To expedite things I paid for the second board and when I installed it there was the same problem, so NOT a hardware issue.  Swapped back to my original board and the other is still a clean board with no Windows history so it can be returned and is still a new board.
So digging further as my install was to replace an old MSI motherboard, processor and video card as a component on the video card blew up (with the accompanying burnt electronics smell)  I did a thorough cleaning  of the device manager.  I have also triple checked all the drivers, and everything is up to snuff.

Now for the weird part.  In Windows the network says no cable is connected.  IT IS of course.
I also noticed with the latest go round of detective work on this that the Cat5 port lighted up when I inserted the cable.  Then I started watching my Router which is right over head.  The following happens:

Start computer Ethernet on router lights up.
Just before Windows starts Ethernet light on router shuts off.

Windows starts up and no Ethernet, and no light on router.
Go into Device Manager, select "Network adapters", select the offending Ethernet Controller (3) 1225-V and uninstall the device with delete the software.
Ethernet light on router turns back on within about 5 seconds.  Of course the Ethernet isn't working because the controller has been removed, but the hardware obviously is communicating.

If I reboot Windows 10 it just reinstalls the same crap drivers and the Ethernet doesn't work.  I used the latest intel Wifi drivers to get the wifi to work, but it isn't as smooth as the Ethernet should be.
Now to try and get the crap drivers out of the Windows backup and try and let Windows install good drivers from Microsoft as obviously the MSI and current intel drivers are the problem.
This is a screen shot of the Intel drivers for the 1225-V Controller, and these obviously DO NOT WORK!

Edit: I realized there was a second file and went back and did a screen shot of the particulars on that file. (the -1.jpg file)  Thus far I have not been able to find a good driver that will let the Ethernet operate.

I really suspect that the only reason that more folks are not screaming about this is that they are just using the wifi and moving on.  This is really poor on whoever did the driver and while I am keeping my mouth in check, someone needs a good slap up side the head.  Poor Poor workmanship.

0 Kudos