Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Is Ethernet Adapter Better than WIFI?

Stella_Gomez
Beginner

Hi Folks, 

I am facing internet issue while working. Can your please suggest somebody which is better Ethernet Adapter or WIFI?

Your suggestion might be helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

I am not sure what it is you want.   There are advantages of wired over wireless, and advantages of wireless over wired.  The decision has to be yours.  If you want to use wired,  then either of the two usb adapters, provided their driver works with your OS, should be fine.  Of course, you need to run WIRE.   I suggest flat cat6 wiring to go from the adapter to wherever (likely a switch or router).   Wire can be a problem if not properly installed or placed.

However, there are good wireless products available as well.   They will also depend on the driver and your router to get you the performance you want.  And, they depend on distance and interference.

I use wire where possible, and wireless where practical.  Which is better?  Well, better is a relative term.   It depends on your needs, environment, and use.  Again, the decision is yours. 

P.S.   Where are you in Australia?  I lived in Canberra for a while.   Just curious.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Yoiu are talking about wired versus wireless.  Which one do you want?

0 Kudos
Stella_Gomez
Beginner
@AlHill Hey,

I am talking about wireless. Actually I was using WIFI and now I want to use Ethernet Adapter. I have searched on many websites but got stuck somewhere. Then the idea popped up in my mind that I should ask to somebody who can guide me properly. That's why I came here for help.

Here is the sites which I have searched-

Thanks
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have answered your own question.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not sure what it is you want.   There are advantages of wired over wireless, and advantages of wireless over wired.  The decision has to be yours.  If you want to use wired,  then either of the two usb adapters, provided their driver works with your OS, should be fine.  Of course, you need to run WIRE.   I suggest flat cat6 wiring to go from the adapter to wherever (likely a switch or router).   Wire can be a problem if not properly installed or placed.

However, there are good wireless products available as well.   They will also depend on the driver and your router to get you the performance you want.  And, they depend on distance and interference.

I use wire where possible, and wireless where practical.  Which is better?  Well, better is a relative term.   It depends on your needs, environment, and use.  Again, the decision is yours. 

P.S.   Where are you in Australia?  I lived in Canberra for a while.   Just curious.

0 Kudos
Stella_Gomez
Beginner

Thanks for your advice. Really that was helpful.

Well I live in SOUTH KALGOORLIE WA.

0 Kudos