Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

Performance bad on LAN

VBrun3
Beginner

I have a small network that is not performing very well and need to get it upto speed. I get days that I need to move Terrabytes of data around and the network is transferring from the server to my computer at 13MB/second and when copying to my wife's computer 80MB/second to 100MB/second. I have been thinking that I might have to get a dual gigabit PCIE NIC in the server and team them, and either similar with single ports for the desktops, or change settings/drivers/whatever.

The details of the network computers etc. is below.

We are wired with CAT6 all the way, patch leads to wall sockets are no more than 2 metres long also all the connections that I need performance from have cable lengths, to the switch, of less than 15 metres.

The switch is a D-Link DGS-1224T gigabit, that has been flashed with the latest firmware. I do notice that when I tried JumboFrames out, to try for more speed, that there is no packet size setting there. All network cards are Intel onboard and have the latest Intel driver, not the Microsoft driver.

The Server has an Intel S5000PSLROMBR Motherboard with Dual Intel® Gigabit Ethernet connections (Intel® 82563EB Network)

The server has 4 Seagate 15k 300gig SAS drives in Raid 10 with SROMBSAS18E Intel raid controller and has 24 gig of Kingston 667MHz DDR2 /# ECC - (Error Correction Code)A method of checking the integrity of data in DRAM. ECC provides more elaborate error detection than parity; ECC can detect multiple-bit errors and can locate and correct single-bit errors. ','300') }" style="text-decoration: none;">ECC Fully Buffered CL5 /# DIMM - (Dual In-line Memory Module) - A printed circuit board with gold contacts and memory devices. A DIMM is similar to a SIMM, but with this primary difference: unlike the metal leads on either side of a SIMM, which are *tied together* electrically, the leads on either side of a DIMM are electrically independent. ','300') }" style="text-decoration: none;">DIMM Single Rank, x8. The server runs Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 R2 standard, Symante Endpoint Protection 11.0.4014.26, Storagecraft Shadow Protect Server editino ver. 3.5.

My computer is an Intel i7 920 in an Intel DX58SO with, 3*2gig Corsair 1600mhz RAM modules, Seagate SATA II ST31000528AS hard discSony Blu-Ray burner, GeForce 9600GT Video card, Intel 82567LM-2 NIC running Windows 7 Ultimate Retail, Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4014.26, and Storagecraft Shadow Protect Desktop edition ver. 3.5

My wifes computer is a Intel i7 860 in an Intel DP55WB with 2*2gig Corsair 1600mhz RAM modules Seagate SATA II ST31000528AS hard dis,DVD burner, GeForce 9800GT Video Card, Intel 82578DC NIC running Windows 7 Ultimate Retail, Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4014.26, and Storagecraft Shadow Protect Desktop edition ver. 3.5

Thanks in advance,

Viv.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Douglas_B_Intel
Employee

You can use http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/tcp_tool.mspx NTttcp to double check that problem is the network and not the O/S or the disk sub systems. Double check the event viewer to see if anything looks odd. You can also use http://www.wireshark.org/ Wireshark to see if there are a lot TCP level retries on the network. For practical purposes I would consider the 82567 and the 82568 to be the same, so it doesn't make any sense to see the size of difference your seeing. Between the Wireshark and NTttcp test data you might have good idea of what is going on. Good luck!

0 Kudos