Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5104 Discussions

Slow LAN throughput / Painful web browsing

GLind2
Beginner

I have a Lenovo W510 laptop including 8GB RAM, Samsung SSD, and "Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection" Ethernet adapter with what I believe are the latest available drivers. This machine was recently built (with SSD) and Win7. The machine connects to a Dlink Ethernet switch, to which is also connected a NAS box and Router (with connection to the Internet).

The machine and network configuration is capable of good performance, including:

- copy large file from the NAS to desktop at > 40 MByte/sec

- download from internet speed test site at > 30Mbit/sec

But after use (of various time lengths, typically minutes to hours...), the following happens:

- copy of large file runs 6 - 10 MB/sec

- I can detect a reduced "snappiness" in File Explorer operation;

- web site browsing becomes "painful". Curiously, internet speed tests still show circa 30 Mbit/s download speed.

A restart of the computer generally rectifies the problem (for a time). At all times, the "test tools" on the Intel card report good quality network connections, good quality cable and cable lengths in the 20-30 m range (depending on connection I use) and no problems.

I have connected to the Dlink switch on various ports - makes no difference.

I have another (more power desktop) machine using a Realtek LAN card - it experiences no such difficulties and performs very well consistently.

I am stumped by this. Can anyone offer any explanation or solution?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Rau 16,

Tried using latest driver and contact Lenovo as this is onboard NIC, they can have customize driver for this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
GLind2
Beginner

I have updated to the latest driver available from Intel, and also tried the latest that Lenovo offer on their site. Neither produce any improvement. After a restart, the machine performs well, then after a little while, the problems I summarised in the original post arise.

0 Kudos