Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5006 Discussions

WGI210 SMBUS and I2C connection

netkerlQuevedoyat

Hi, Intel

WGI210 supports SMBUS, Is it possible to use an I2C bus instead of SMBUS?

If Not possible How can I interface with I2C bus? I'm designing a Jetson Orin CPU with 4 WGI210s for 1G ethernet support.

Thanks

Regards,

Shane

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MACM
Employee

Hi netkerlQuevedoyat,

Greetings from Intel.

Hope you are doing great.

Could you please let us know more about the issue and what is the ethernet product that you want to configure.

Also please share us the picture of the product so that we can go ahead and proceed further accordingly.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos
netkerlQuevedoyat

Hi, Intel.

Thank you for answering me.

I previously designed a circuit using an x68 CPU and implemented it by connecting SMBus with the control channel of WGI210 and the SMBus of the x86 CPU.

I want to Hardware design a new NVIDIA Jetson AGX orin CPU, but this CPU does not have SMBus, so I want to connect it to WGI210 using an I2C bus instead. In other words, is it possible to replace the existing SMBus Line with an I2C bus 1:1? It's about asking questions.

I question whether it is okay to design the WGI210's SMBus line (marked in red) to be connected to I2C as shown in the picture below.

[Figure-1] WGI210 connection Diagram

netkerlQuevedoyat_0-1720072429277.png

Regards,

NetkerlQuevedoyat

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi NetkerlQuevedoyat,

Good day!

Since your issue is related to a custom designed circuit, we have a separate forum where you can get further assistance.

Kindly use the below link and submit your request.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
netkerlQuevedoyat

Dear Simon,

OK,,,, I'll submit my request for custom design questions.

I have one question for you.
If n WGI210s are connected to one SMBus, and the CPU and WGI210s are each connected to n WGI210s via n lanes of PCIe, how can the CPU access (address) WGI210 separately even though there is no external SMBus address hardware setting pin on the WGi210?

Regards,

NetkerlQuevedoyat

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi netkerlQuevedoyat,

Thank you for your response. You may share your enquiry with Embedded team as they are the expertise team regarding this issue.

Kindly use the below link and submit your request.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos