Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Windows 7 Professional x64 integrated Intel 82577LM network controller on Latitude e6510 - EEPROM failure because of Intel Link Speed hardware diagnostics

idata
Employee

So, basically I've got same problem as the guy who posted topic http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19492150 Integrated Intel 82577 network controller - EEPROM failure.

But in my case this problem appeared slighlty different. While browsing Internet, connection was breaked, because of temporary connections problem with LAN (router had to be reset).

But first I thought it's the fault of NIC, so I decided to make NIC hardware diagnosicts using Intel Link Speed driver options.

Test failed and I've got info that EEPROM diagnostics failed.

Then NIC stopped working.

I've tried deleting and installing again the driver (both using drivers from dell support website and intel download center), also tried installing driver for 82577LC, reinstalling chipset drivers, deleting entries in windows registry.

Nothing worked.

Even booted Ubuntu liveUSB - linux also don't recognized this NIC.

Is it totally physically bricked or just firmware is really messed up?

How could I diagnose this by myself? Both on Windows and unix?

Has Intel got some hardware diagnostics tool, which could detect such problems?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Yes, right now the card is bricked. The only way to fix it is to ask vendor of exact NIC/MB to send you a Intel EEPROM tool with EEPROM image for such NIC/MB. There are some tool leaks and guides on chinese sites for restoring EEPROM by itself, but procedure looks way too complex (and needs a China social network account with alot of 'points' to get access to downloads).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hasn't Intel or Dell got such EEPROM tool available to download? Don't you know anything about JFFulcrum?

[...]There are some tool leaks and guides on chinese sites for restoring EEPROM by itself[...]

No way. First, language barrier; second, I'm not 100% sure, what such tool will do to my hardware - rootkit installation is what I predict.

Even when I've could get access to source code, it won't help me a lot, because I can't code in Assembly, C/C++.

IMO, such tool should be freely available to download from official manufacturer's website.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi thermo_bit,

Good day. We have eeprom tool e.g. preboot.exe for standalone network adapter. Here is the download site but as you can see 82577LM is not on the supported list https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19186/Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-images-and-EFI-Drivers Intel® Download Center

Since you are using an integrated NIC on Dell* system, you may get in touch with Dell* for the eeprom tool to reflash your eeporom.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for help! Sure I'll check Dell support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Soo, asked same question in Dell support forum http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19654140 Windows 7 Professional x64 integrated Intel 82577LM network controller on Latitude e6510 - EEPROM failure because of Int but someone from Dell staff said they've no such tool.

Thus, has Intel got something like preboot.exe but for other NICs?

It's important for me, because I'm using now USB <-> Ethernet adapter to communicate with Internet, instead using Ethernet socket. It very uncomfortable.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III
0 Kudos