Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5000 Discussions

X520-DA2 Conflict with ROMS and my system memory

Dgangstee
Beginner

I'm trying to add a X520-DA2 controller to my (admittedly old) HP Z400 Workstation (24Gb ram, Xeon W3670, W10) and I am having the following problem.

When the controller is inserted in the PCIe bus upon boot I get an error that basically says some of my memory is invalid thus it wants to drop my 24Gb down to 16Gb ram. This equals one of my three 8GB sticks. Once booted like this (pressed f2 to save this cfg) the Intel driver software cannot find any network devices.

I've also tried removing a stick of RAM and booting with the X520 controller installed but then I get an immediate  error saying that 'Rram not supported and Uram not supported".

I am suspecting that the X520's ROM'S are at the same address as part of my memory. Seems strange that this would be the case but I can't think of any other reason for this problem.

I also tried installing a X710-DA2 controller but I get the same results.

If anyone else has had this problem and hopefully found a solution I would be grateful to hear from you about it.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dgangstee
Beginner
Thanks for your reply Simon-Intel.
I have determined that the problem is that my Z400 is not compatible with the Intel X series controllers.

I have ordered a HP Z4 G4 workstation as an upgrade and HP has indicated compatibility with the Intel X series controllers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Dgangstee,

Greetings!

In the link below, we see that the Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X520-DA2 is built for a server (Vertical Segment: Server). Kindly confirm if you have checked with HP support to ensure this card is compatible with your system.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/55353/intel-ethernet-server-adapter-x520-da2.html

Regards,

Simon

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Dgangstee,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to review our previous message.

Feel free to reply to this message, and we'll be more than happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Simon

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dgangstee
Beginner
Thanks for your reply Simon-Intel.
I have determined that the problem is that my Z400 is not compatible with the Intel X series controllers.

I have ordered a HP Z4 G4 workstation as an upgrade and HP has indicated compatibility with the Intel X series controllers.
0 Kudos