Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4899 Discussions

X550-T1 modified eeprom MAC address and restored after power off

huanghonghao
Beginner
Hello everyone, when I use the Intel wired network card X550-T1 in the Linux system, I use the ethtool to modify the MAC address in eeprom. After the device powers down, the MAC address will automatically recover. However, if it is a soft restart (through the "reboot" command, the system does not power down), there will not be such a problem. Therefore, I would like to inquire about any methods to keep the modified MAC address from being restored after power down.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hi @huanghonghao,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

May I know if the MAC address of the Intel wired network card X550-T1 has been altered at all?

For security reason, the MAC address for X550 is only allowed to update once after you flashed the nvm image.

NVM version 2.0 and above allow for one time change of the mac address from the generic to the specific address, after that the security feature does not allow for additional changes.

The NVMs from 2.00 and higher have a "recovery mode" which will only allow the MAC to be programmed after the FW identifies the MAC is not the default value from the original file.

Once the FW finds a new value it will lock it in Read Only space and it will remain unchanged.

Hope this clarifies your question. Check out this related external discussion as well to find suitable information related to your inquiry:

https://blog.kanbach.org/post/how-to-permanently-change-a-mac-address-using-ethtool/

Please be aware that Intel does not support the modification of MAC addresses using third-party applications.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
huanghonghao
Beginner

Hello B_Y

Thank you for your reply. The MAC address of X550-T1 has indeed been modified, but it was restored after a power off, which may be related to the "recovery mode" you mentioned. Reboot without power off, the modified MAC address will not be restored, and it can be used normally.

Also, I would like to know about the "recovery mode" of NVM. Is it a unique mechanism of X550-T1? Because when I use other models of network cards (such as I350, X710), I will not encounter this situation of being restored

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @huanghonghao,

You may refer to this Intel article (https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/606286/606286_RecoveryMode_AppNote_Rev1.2.pdf) on Recovery Mode for Intel® Ethernet Products. 

Kindly provide the following information for us to further check on your query.

1) Please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2) System Support Utility(SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. This would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Kindly go to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html? and download the software.

3) Please provide output of ethtool -i

4) May I know the exact command you used to change the MAC. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @huanghonghao,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @huanghonghao,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos