Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

XXV710 multicast, latency between IGMP subscription and first data received

Anne35
Beginner

We use Intel cards XXV710 and we need low latency for multicast streams reception. We use SRIOV functionality, and we have noticed that the latency between IGMP subscription and the reception of the first data packet is greater than 1 second.

This is not an infrastructure issue because we get, for instance with Mellanox cards or if we configure interface in promiscuous a latency around 15ms.

At the beginning issue was observed on PF and VF. After i40e drivers update to 2.16.11, issue doesn’t appear anymore on PF. However, issue still exists with VF.

After more investigations it seems that issue is around the mac multicast address registration by the drivers. If I set the multicast mac address statically with “ip maddress” tool I notice that the latency falls to 15ms when I subscribe to a multicast service.

Drivers & firmware versions:

I40e: 2.16.11
iavf: 4.2.7
FW: 8.40

Have you already encountered this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Anne35,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you designing a board or a system with embedded XXV710?
  2. What is your OS?
  3. Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?
  4. Can you share the link where of your latest drivers?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Anne35
Beginner

Hello Michael_L_Intel2,

Thank you for your reply.

Here the answers to your questions:

1 - No, I use a card delivered with a Dell server 

2 - Os are RedHat8.3 & Centos7

3 - In attachement I added a wireshark screenshot

4 - I use Intel drivers:

I40e: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18026/24411/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-40-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html?product=83967

Iavf: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18159/24693/intel-network-adapter-linux-virtual-function-driver-for-intel-ethernet-controller-700-and-e810-series.html?product=46828

Best Regards,

Anne

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Anne35,

Thank you so much for the update. Upon checking, XXV710 does not support RedHat 8.3 and Centos 7. Kindly check this link for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

It is also said there at the top of the page that these cards are OEM. Since you mentioned that the network card is with the Dell system. It is best to also check with Dell if your card supports your OS and if yes, kindly check if they have drivers for you OS.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Anne35,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you still have clarifications regarding this thread and I hope that you are now talking to Dell for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Anne35,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending another follow up to check if you are now talking to the Dell for further assistance. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos