Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4893 Discussions

i211 Tx performance regression

Septor
Beginner

Hi,

I recently noticed that my i211 (integrated into ASUS X470 Gaming-F motherboard) had a large TX (upload) performance hit.  I could no long acheive anything above 700Mbps on LAN, regardless of application used.  This is on Windows 11 x64.

I proceeded to delete all the Intel drivers I had and then let Windows Update install the original driver, and I found my TX speed went back up to the expected 950Mbps.

After some regression testing I tried various drivers from latest 28.0 to 26.8.  It seems that this was broken from 27.0 onwards.  There's must be some significant regression in 27.x to cause this and would be great if it could be fixed.

Device info is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539&SUBSYS_85F01043&REV_03\6&21B587D9&0&0038020B

Latest known working driver is: 26.8 (driver version 12.18.12.1 in device manager)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hello @Septor,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the following information for us to check on your query.

1.) System Support Utility(SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. This would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 and download the software.

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

2.) How many systems are affected by this issue?

3.) Have you tried using the driver provided by Asus? Have you tried using the latest driver Version 13.0.14.0 (Url: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x470-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/)?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Septor
Beginner

Hi @B_Y 

1. Attached SSU logs
  2. I only have 1 system to verify, but repro rate is 100% with newer drivers as stated
  3. Yes, I also tried ASUS driver, however same issue since it is a newer version, thus also confirming the regression data.

Thanks

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hello @Septor,

Thank you for your patience.

We would advise you to stick with driver package: 26.8 if your NIC operate without any problems.

If a driver update is required (for example, to latest driver package 28), lease try out the following and let us know of the result:

1) You can do clean driver installation here

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

2) And install new driver from here: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

3) Lower the value or turn off interrupt moderation as this is best for handling many small packets so the driver is more responsive to incoming and outgoing packets.

4) Disable other I211 features such as offloading, Energy Efficient Ethernet, and Flow Control at Device Manager's Advanced setting.

Disclaimer: 

If Intel® Ethernet Controller is embedded on Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) system, it's best to check with the manufacturer as the software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on OEM system, Intel recommends checking with the OEM and use the software provided via system manufacturer. 

For your information. Updates will be given soon once the root cause has been determined by Intel, which is working on a long-term fix for this problem involving driver package 28.0.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience may have given you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hello @Septor,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hello @Septor,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos