Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

identical mac addresses

MattRecycle
Beginner

hi, I have a bit of a problem with a bunch of HP 840 G3 laptops - they all have identical Mac Addresses! this is at hardware level, viewable within BIOS and running the Intel I219-LM. Windows has not been installed. i can't run the boot flash utility as it says "flash not present" - i'm presuming blocked by HP

HP have been no help at all, I believe they may have been setup this way for a particular customer at manufacturing. does any body have any ideas how I can reset, or alter the Mac address?

many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello MattRecycle,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Are you trying to update the firmware of the on-board Intel I219-LM using Intel's firmware file?

Let me also ask what is HP's advise on this issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
MattRecycle
Beginner

hi, thanks for the reply

HP have said they are unable to help, we have almost 70 of these units all with the same Mac Address

strangely enough they also have the same Build ID, and Asset tracking numbers in BIOS

the Intel Flash program isn't working as I believe its blocked/disabled by the HP BIOS

nobody I know in the industry have ever come across a problem like this before

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MattRecycle,

Thank you for the clarification. And also, let me explain that Intel's firmware update is for Intel retail Ethernet card only.

Each manufacturer has their own firmware update even if the are using Intel chip in the Ethernet card.

In this case, since the card is embedded on the board. Intel firmware update file will not work and the best team that can assist you is HP. I am sorry, but HP has the control over their board and their system.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MattRecycle,

I am just checking if you are already talking to HP about the issue.

If you still have clarifications, please tell us.

In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MattRecycle,

I just want to check if you are already talking to HP and I hope that they were able to assist you. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos