Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4905 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
YBond1
Novice

yes intterupt moderation causes issues even with other sound card cause it doesn't enable large send or large send . causing the windows stack or driver to wait. even with high network cards using fober connection .

0 Kudos
PAndr11
Beginner

I'm also having the same issues reported here since 2 weeks ago, give or take. I didn't change any hardware or sofware in this time frame.

My motherboard is an Asus Z97-Pro Gamer with the latest bios installed. I've got Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with the latest Intel 21.1 driver installed. I also tried clean installing Windows 10 (Anniversary) and using the default Intel LAN driver that comes with it but same thing happens.

LatencyMon reports high latency caused by the Network card (I218-V in my case). I can't say for sure but I think when this all started I went into Device Manager and saw some WAN Miniport devices show up below the Intel LAN interface, something that I never had before.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I solved the issue by buying an external NIC. It's ridiculous that intel doesn't support onboard LAN because the NIC I purchased uses the exact same driver. I now have my desktop up and running with no issues. I would suggest biting the bullet on this one and dish out the $40 for a new network card.

0 Kudos
PAndr11
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

Can you detail what brand and model network card you bought? Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe that i bought the EXPI9301CT, I can verify when I get home. I purchased mine from Micro Center. They have this particular one on their website. I would double check with a sales associate though as it doesn't include Windows 10 in its compatibility list. I am using linux for my desktop. Here is a link to the card http://www.microcenter.com/product/360498/EXPI9301CT_Gigabit_PCIe_X1_Adapter http://www.microcenter.com/product/360498/EXPI9301CT_Gigabit_PCIe_X1_Adapter

0 Kudos
PAndr11
Beginner

Just replying to say that I rushed myself in stating that my Intel I218-V integrated Ethernet was the cause of the issues on my PC.

After some more LatencyMon checks and comparing Latency values I figured out that the conclusions that the software gave on the main page (specifically the network card being one of the causes) were somewhat innacurate. Checking the drivers page I could see that the highest value was always reached (by far) by "storport.sys".

Then I finally remembered that I had recently installed Crucial's software for my SSD (Crucial MX100) for the 1st time in 2 years and after uninstalling it my DPC latency issues were gone. This was reiterated by reading similar complaints on Crucial's forum: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Momentum-Cache-Bug-Report-DPC-Latency/td-p/171725 Momentum Cache Bug Report (DPC Latency) - Crucial Community

So I can state that with either Windows 10 default drivers or Intel's website latest 21.1 installed all is working well.

0 Kudos
jazer
Beginner

wow, i just came across this now after hours of googling, it's horrible that the solution is to go buy a NIC instead this being fixed by either microsoft or intel or both.

my situation is windows 10 64bit on an ASUS Z170-A motherboard

i tried 21.1 & 21.0 and a couple more further back and it's all the same DPC latency is horrible and the offender is always ndis.sys or tcpip as second worst.

disabling the nic or uninstallind the driver makes it go away.

i notice it specifically when i'm browsing, either when i open a new browser window or tab or god forbid go to youtube and instantly ndis spikes up in the thousands

has there been any progress? resolution?

anything new or any other topics that have further fixes?

0 Kudos
MRhon
Beginner

I'm running (the yet to be officially released) version 12.15.99.9 from 21.12.2016 for I219-V and the problem still persists, so I'm not holding my breath for a fix.

0 Kudos
CHaag
Beginner

I have tried everything from fiddling with drivers over a non-Intel chip network adapter, various BIOS settings and finally even a new PC in order to get my recording studio PC working.

The solution for me was painfully simple.

I systematically switched off various programs and services and while doing that thought "man, you never considered the antivirus software". For me it's something I never switch off…

After switching of the malicious website protection, I got beautiful DPC latency values.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 and Malwarebytes Antimalware business. Switching the malicious website protection off compleltely solved the issue. Not a big deal for me do avoid surfing while in audio production.

It totally makes sense. The malicious website protection needs to plug into the TCP communication. And that – very obviously – can make the ndis.sys to become a reason for high DPC latencies.

Malwarebytes are doing a fabulous job and I would not blame them for slowish software – especially since the same Malwarebytes was running fine on Windows 8. I believe that with Microsoft's improved security architecture of Windows 10 some "plugs" for third parties became slow.

I figured this out weeks ago. Sorry for not posting earlier (for those, who might benefit from my solution). After so many trial and errors I just dropped out with drop outs.

As this is the Intel forum: It was never a problem with either Intel chips or Intel drivers for me. I suspected it, but it wasn't.

Here's today's update: With the latest Windows 10 updates and Malwarebytes 3 the problem is totally gone. I no longer have to switch off the malicious website protection for audio production. Even heavy downloading does not affect the DPC latency anymore.

Pheeew!

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

Hi guys! New on the Intel Forum!

I have tried everything in this thread. Nothing works! The problem started with a driver update and Windows 10 update. I think it was arround october or something. Long time windows and power user, this is the most frustrating thing ever.

My computer is an home build 6 months old Skylake 6700K with an ASUS Z170-A mobo, Corsair DDR4 3000MHz, and an ASUS GTX1070. Windows 10 Home.

Things i have tried:

Reinstalled Windows 10

Reinstalled old drivers

Configured the network adapter

Updated all drivers (chipset etc)

Updated bios

Bought a DLINK USB-Network adapter (somewhat better, the stuttering is now back)

My feeling and conclusion after alot of googling/troubleshooting;

I think it is something with Windows 10. All my computer problems the last year is releated to this buggy mess of an operating system. In my experience, every single one of MS operating systems has caused driver problems for me and my friends.

I will try to uninstall the AV-program as the last poster suggested. (AVAST)

Will keep you updated, and hope that we can solve this.

Regards

Jonas from Sweden

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

No lag spikes so far, couple of hours of testing! So far so good. Disabled the AV Program (AVAST). I hope it is this simple! Jesus....

From avast forums some old, some new.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=188346.0 Avast causing Nvidia GPU Clock Speeds to spike on 30 second intervals?

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140679.0 DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=154798.0 Sound distortion and lag spikes.

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

Nevermind, the stuttering is back! Playing Overwatch...GAH!

JAndr14
Novice

Nothing new? Driving me crazy...

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

New NIC drivers from Intel are finally out. Version 22.0.1 was just released, but if it will help with your current issues I don't know, but try them out! :-)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

JAndr14
Novice

Great!

Will try these when i reinstall my system this week. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

Thanks for the update!

Haven't had much issues with distortion as of late. Perhaps after the two latest drivers and some tinkering with other stuff. I believe it's a combination of things, not just the Intel driver.

For example, the saving feature most CPU have. Has a big impact on this. After limiting minimum processor state to 2000 MHz (50%), distortion almost never happens for me.

Try, see if it helps you ...

1. Hit the [Windows key] on your keyboard, type "Power Options" without the quotes (assuming you're using Win 10)
  2. On the right, click "Change plan settings"
  3. Click "Change advanced power settings"
  4. Located "Processor Power Management - minimum processor state"

My issue was mostly with video playback, at least that's all I can remember. Prior to the release of Kodi (Krypton) a media player. When audio distortion happen, I flew through the roof shit scared after hearing the ûber loud crackle. Now it's more of a "pause" in audio if and when it happens.

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

So installed the new driver and so far (about 48 hours) no crackling sound

Will keep you updated....

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

Great, glad to hear that. It works good for me too, but then again I'm using Windows 7, not 10. I've tried Windows 10 a few times to see how things have worked out with updates. Usually it ends in a catastrophe. I don't know if Windows 10 still has issues, or if my platform is too old (maybe missing proper drivers). Socket 1155, Z77 chipset and (Sandy Bridge) Intel i7 2600K CPU. I even bought a new Intel NIC (82574L I think it was) from Ebay hoping it would perform better in Windows 10 compared to the integrated 82579V on my motherboard, but Windows 10 seems borked. At least on my machine...

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

Spoke to soon again , the crackling is still there. Bah...

0 Kudos
JAndr14
Novice

I am going to install Windows 7 (dual boot) and reinstall Windows 10 to solve this. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

Any luck, yet?

Windows 10 was making me crazy, never got rid of DPC latency issues, no matter what settings I tweaked around with (power saving features, etc).

I actually noticed that I had some issues with the Intel drivers the other day, I thought everything worked fine at first, but I noticed web browsing was a painfully slow experience, so I checked the settings for the Intel NIC in PROSet and I was missing all the settings! I don't even think it had installed properly, because PROSet seemed to be missing (all the tabs with extra settings). I think it was because this network card I'm using have in-box drivers for Windows, and it continued to install those, so I had to spend a few hours on uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I wanted. Not related to this topic (about DPC latency) though, but still. Such a mess.

EDIT: Oh, and please remember that the power options for the Intel NIC should be off, as this might have a big impact on the performance.