FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

ALT_ASMI and lpm_SerialFlashLoader

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a Cyclone II EP2C5 with a M25P40 (EPCS4) serial configuration device. 

I want to program the serial EEPROM with JTAG over the SerialFlasLoader in the Cyclone II. 

And I need to store a few user configuration words in the EEPROM. For that I want to use the ALT_ASMI megafunction. 

Can I use this two megafunction together? Does Quartus II 7.2 recognize that both use the ASMI interface/IOs? 

With only the ALT_ASMI megafunction everything is ok. But when I add the SFL I get a error: 

error: cannot place node "memory_interface:memory_interface_inst|lpm_serialflashloader:lpm_serialflashloader_inst|altserial_flash_loader:altserial_flash_loader_component|data0out_int" of type asmi block 

For this error I submitted a service request (still open). Has anyone experienced similar problems? Or did someone use both megafunction together? 

Felix
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ALTASMI Megafunctions is exclusively using the asmiblock primitive and has no options to share it. Also Altserial_flash_loader uses it internally, but can export the asmiblock signals. However the ATLASMI Megafunction code can't use the signals, it has to be modified.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yesterday I found this too. The solution would be to use the Altserial_flash_loader and design my own SPI memory access block with the shared pins from SFL. 

It would be nice if there was a option in ALT_ASMI to use a external asmiblock. 

Felix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The asmiblock is instantiated directly in the Megawizard generated VHDL file. It shouldn't be too complicated to edit this design.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks FvM. This morning I received a solution from my service request: 

--- Quote Start ---  

You may not need to instantiate the SFL in your design, but to invoke the SFL image when you trying to program the EPCS using the jic file. Kindly please refer to the attached document for more information. 

--- Quote End ---  

I will try this as soon as I have the board. 

Felix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, the Altera solution is to use a different (blank) design containing only the SFL. It is generally acceptable, when SFL is intended for production or update purposes, when the system isn't required to stay operational. 

Another reason for this solution may be in conflicting I/O placement rules for the AS pins or Quartus bugs that cause failure of SFL in a design.
0 Kudos