FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

Altera Generic Tri-state Controller optimization for ZBT SRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i'm using EP4CGX150DF31 on custom PCB with dual Cypress NoBL (= Zero Bus Turnaround) SSRAM CY7C1463AV33. 

Theoretical Bandwidth 32 bits x 65 MHZ (memclk speed) = 2080 Mbit/s 

QSYS SRAM ios:  

.sram_tcm_address_out 21 of 23 hight bits connected to SRAM Address bus 

.sram_tcm_byteenable_n_out all 4 bits connected to SRAM BWx pins 

.sram_tcm_read_n_out connected to SRAM OE pin 

.sram_tcm_write_n_out connected to SRAM WE pin 

.sram_tcm_data_out connected to SRAM DATA bus 

.sram_tcm_chipselect_n_out connected to CE1, CE2, CE3 according it's polaritys  

I used NIOS II EDS Standart memory test program and achieved stable work using the following Generic Tri-state controller parameters:  

(see GTC_params PNGs in attachment) 

Read wait time: 1 

Wite wait time: 0 

Setup time: 0 

Data Hold Time: 1 

Maximum pending data transactions: 64 

Turnaround time: 0 

Timing units: Cycles 

Read latency: 2 

Chipselect through read latency is checked 

But when i try to use this memory in Video proccessing (all standart Altera Cores): 

PAL Video ADC -> CVI -> frame buffer -> CVO -> PAL Video DAC  

Clocked Video Output Underflow and my ext monitor lost video synchronization very often 

PAL video uses total 54 MBit/s maximum bandwith for read and write operation. 

I try to analyze behavior of Generic Tri-State Controller with SignalTap LA and got this (stap PNGs in attachment) 

and saw that reading/writing 1 word use 3-5 clock cycles -> my bandwith is too slow 

1) Does this Altera Core support ZBT/NoBL SRAM? 

2) Have you any ideas, how to properly setup Generic Tri-State controller for this NoBL SRAM? 

3) Does Altera provide any tool for measure external SRAM efficiency/bandwith on Cyclone IV FPGA? 

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again. 

I've find optimum parameters for Cypress ZBT SRAM.  

Maybe it can be usefull for anyone else. 

Read wait time: 0 

Wite wait time: 0 

Setup time: 0 

Data Hold Time: 0 

Maximum pending data transactions: 64 

Turnaround time: 0 

Timing units: Cycles 

Read latency: 3 

Chipselect through read latency is unchecked 

Full preset for Generic Tri-state controller in attachment 

And else I had to instatiate PLL and shift 65 MHZ clock which drive SRAM's CLK pin to -3.07 ns. All other logic driven by not shifted clock. 

New SignalTap images of Read/Write operation: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8439 https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8440 https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8441  

Good luck
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello KWler, 

I found your post very interesting. I have to manage a similar SRAM and I'm struggling with it with a similar QSys system. 

I would like to ask you some question: 

1) Why do you put ".sram_tcm_address_out 21 of 23 hight bits connected to SRAM Address bus" if you have only 21 bits for address? Is there a reason or you could put directly 21? 

2) Why do you use only 65 MHz if your memory could work at 133 MHz? (Silly question, but maybe you have a reason to make the SRAM working at half of its maximum speed) 

3) What is the type of memory are you using? The 1Mx36 or the 2Mx18 one? I can't understand it from your parameters, you chose Data width 32 but in the module assignments window you put SRAM_Data_width 16; 

4) Are Parameters in the "Module Assignment" window important? I don't have a CPU or a NIOS attached (it is a straight system), if I understand well they are parameters only important for software. 

5) Have you a reason to put the SRAM clock shifted? I found thin solution also in other projects and I would like to understand why.  

Thank you