FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

DDR2 HP Controller Simulation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to simulate the DDR2 HP SDRAM controller in conjunction with a Hynix DDR2 memory model. As I'm developing in vhdl I compile the following auto generated files for the controller: 

ddrsdram_phy_alt_mem_phy_pll_ciii.vhd 

ddrsdram_auk_ddr_hp_controller_wrapper.vho 

ddrsdram_phy_alt_mem_phy_sequencer_wrapper.vho 

ddrsdram_controller_phy.vhd 

ddrsdram.vhd 

This works perfectly in the simulation with the auto generated memory model: 

ddrsdram_mem_model.vhd 

But if I switch to the Hynix Model (HY5PS121621F.vhd) I don't get rdata_valid signals back from the ddr controller. Despite correct dq and dqs signals from the memory model. Maybe a delta cycle problem? Or a limitation of the simulation model? 

I did a cosimulation with the Hynix and the Altera Model. The difference is that the Hynix Model has got a greater latency than the Altera Model on page changes.  

This is what I want anyway, as I measured greater latencies in the "real" hardware. 

Any ideas how to get a better ddr2 model working with the Altera Controller 

in the simulation? 

Cheers, Alex
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ddtehlert, 

Add rigth propagation delays to CK, DQS and command pins (cas, ras, wen). Does hynyx model report any violations?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the RAS and CAS latency the same in the DDR MegaWizard, the Altera Model and the Hynix model? 

I suspect the settings in the MegaWizard don't match the real memory device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your hints, 

@cms: I have transport-constructs for all signals, currently I'm just delaying them for 0.1 ns. 

@cajun-rat: That was a good point, as I had the CAS Latency set to 5 and 3 would have been enough. But anyway the memory did send data on a read request. 

Now I changed to Quartus 8.1 and updated the memory controller and it works. 

Thanks, 

ddtehlert
0 Kudos