FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

DDR2 Uniphy fails Core (setup) timing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm trying to get a design working on a Stratix IV GX 230 (DE4-230) that uses dual DDR2 Uniphy controllers. Each controller is independently driving a DDR2-800 SODIMM (each x64 interface width). I had the design working with a single DDR2 controller at 200MHz full-rate (but just *barely* passing timing). Now with 2 controllers I am unable to get it to ever pass timing at 200, 150, 166, 250, or 300MHz - even though the hardware should be capable of running both interfaces at 400MHz. For the record, I am using the Qsys DDR2 controller component as this is seems the most practical way to integrate the DDR2 cores into my system (which uses a lot of other Qsys Avalon-MM and Avalon-ST stuff including many custom IP-cores). 

I am always getting failures in reported in the "Core (setup)" section of the DDR timing report between *:altdq_dqs2_inst|read_data_out 

[*] and *:uread_fifo|data_stored 

[*] 

[*]. As far as I understand this is part of the read datapath where data is captured (using DQS as clock) and written into a FIFO. For reasons I don't understand (I am not a DDR2 expert and the Altera documentation is rather unhelpful here) I seem to be getting very consistent but negative slacks on these paths. 

I have attached a screenshot of the timing report for one of the failing paths, they all look very similar and the delays are well matched (all of them have approx. -0.7 to -0.8ns slack, on both DDR2 controllers). Memory frequency here was set to 250MHz but I get virtually the same results at other memory clock frequencies too. 

My questions about this: 

1) Why is Clock Delay so high? / Should it be this high? 

2) Why did the (Altera-provided / autogenerated) SDC file for the controller(s) set Max Delay to -0.050ns? Does this make any sense? 

3) What might help resolve the issue? 

FYI I am using Quartus 15.1. 

Thanks for your time. 

edit: The forum helpfully decided my screenshot was too readable so it scaled the image down and JPEG'd it. Here is an external link to the image I tried to attach: http://i.imgur.com/vvydwmz.png
0 Kudos
0 Replies