FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

DDR3 Controller with UniPhy User Interface Issue for Stratix V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have been using bitware s5ph-q board which has on-board 2 banks of ddr3 ram, each of 4GB. I need to test the memory so that I can use it for my project.  

In DDR3 controller with uniphy parameter window, I set row width to 16, column width to 10, bank width to 3 and interface width to 64 which maps to 4GB according to formula provided in altera knowledge base. 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01202012_132.html 

But when I generated my Qsys project, the user interface which is an avalon-mm slave interface had address width of 26 bits and writedata and readdata of 512 bits. 

In general we know that, to access 4GB we need 32-bit address. But I can't able to understand how DDR3 controller is managing it by 26 bits. 

And also observed that the writedata and readdata are dependent on the interface width parameter, being multiple of 8 (in this case 64*8=512). 

So I have a confusion of how to provide data to the controller so that I can have access to complete 4GB. 

Is anyone here has a proper explanation? 

Thanks in advance :)
0 Kudos
0 Replies