FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

DDR3 Migration between device families

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I ran into an issue and searched the forum but unfortunately didn't find the answer. I was able to figure it out so I thought I'd post the solution in case someone else came across this. I should note that I am running Quartus 13.1.2 build 173. 

The issue is that I'm migrating a design from Stratix IV to Stratix V. The DDR3 Controller with Uniphy was created in a project targeting a Stratix IV. When migrating to Stratix V, the controller remains set for Stratix IV. The problem is that the Quartus error was not immediately obvious. Here is the error it gave: 

Error (12024): WYSIWYG primitive "obuf_ba_0" is not compatible with the current device family 

Error (12024): WYSIWYG primitive "obufa_0" is not compatible with the current device family 

Error (12024): WYSIWYG primitive "pseudo_diffa_0" is not compatible with the current device family 

By default, the Device Family is hidden in the Megawizard. Even when it isn't, changing the family does not set all of the correct settings for the new family. I'm guessing this is because it would have to make assumptions about what settings to choose that may change the behavior too much. Perhaps it's the number of software checks it would have to run. 

The solution is to generate the IP from scratch inside a Quartus project targeting the correct device family. Might be an obvious solution but it didn't follow directly from the error messages so here we are. 

Enjoy! 

Scott
0 Kudos
0 Replies