FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

DisplayPort IP Sink - Spread Spectrum Clocking

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey can anyone comment if the Altera displayport receiver (sink) IP core supports spread-spectrum clocking, by the display port source, of the incoming video lanes? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you looking at the Bitech Displayport IP core. 

I don't know for sure, but this should be more of a function of the FPGA PLL than the logic core. Basically can the core PLL maintain lock when the input clock is spread. 

I would check the specific family of FPGA handbook and check the PLL capablilites. I know SATA also can use spread spectrum clocking, and some families for FPGA are ok with this while others are not. 

Pete
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anakha, thank you. Per your suggestion I began review of the Arria data. It does appear Arria family Giga bit receiver PLLs have capability to accept the extra jitter from SSC. Also appears that PCI-e transmitters can use SSC, similar to the DisplayPort spec, and Arria devices appear to have good PCIe support. So gonna take a bit more research but looks promising. Yes the Bitec core as well as the Altera core are under consideration for our solution. --kb