FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

Dynamic phase reconfiguration of ALTPLL in Cyclone IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to dynamically control the phase of a clock signal by using an ALTPLL. 

Generated a the ALTPLL with phase control signals, but I have not been able to find a detailed description of the signals, timing diagrams or design examples. The ALTPLL IP Core User Guide does not contain much. 

Signals that I need more information on are: 

Input [2:0] phasecounterselect 

Input phaseupdown 

Input phasestep 

Input scanclk 

Output locked 

Output phasedone 

Does anybody have more information on this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look at the description that starts on page 5-39 in the Cyclone IV handbook: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyclone4-handbook.pdf 

There's a nice waveform on page 5-41.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Look at the description that starts on page 5-39 in the Cyclone IV handbook: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyclone4-handbook.pdf 

There's a nice waveform on page 5-41. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have generated an ALT PLL with phase control. When simulating I discovered that the phasedone signal does not behave as stated in Cyclone IV handbook. According to the handbook; the phasedone signal goes inactive (low) for one clock cycle of scanclk when changing phase. Simulations show that phasedone only goes inactive(low) for half a clock cycle of scanclk. I imagine that the simulation shows the behaviour of a model of the PLL hardware block in the FPGA, which leaves me with the question: Do I believe the simulation or the handbook?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Simulations show that phasedone only goes inactive(low) for half a clock cycle of scanclk. I imagine that the simulation shows the behaviour of a model of the PLL hardware block in the FPGA, which leaves me with the question: Do I believe the simulation or the handbook?  

--- Quote End ---  

Expect that phasedone can be processed in a state machine running at scanclk, keeping the handbook timing specification.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With Cyclone III and IV, I see phase_done one slightly smaller than one scanclk cycle, means the handbook is basically correct.