FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6367 Discussions

Dynamic phase reconfiguration of ALTPLL in Cyclone IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to dynamically control the phase of a clock signal by using an ALTPLL. 

Generated a the ALTPLL with phase control signals, but I have not been able to find a detailed description of the signals, timing diagrams or design examples. The ALTPLL IP Core User Guide does not contain much. 

Signals that I need more information on are: 

Input [2:0] phasecounterselect 

Input phaseupdown 

Input phasestep 

Input scanclk 

Output locked 

Output phasedone 

Does anybody have more information on this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look at the description that starts on page 5-39 in the Cyclone IV handbook: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyclone4-handbook.pdf 

There's a nice waveform on page 5-41.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Look at the description that starts on page 5-39 in the Cyclone IV handbook: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyclone4-handbook.pdf 

There's a nice waveform on page 5-41. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have generated an ALT PLL with phase control. When simulating I discovered that the phasedone signal does not behave as stated in Cyclone IV handbook. According to the handbook; the phasedone signal goes inactive (low) for one clock cycle of scanclk when changing phase. Simulations show that phasedone only goes inactive(low) for half a clock cycle of scanclk. I imagine that the simulation shows the behaviour of a model of the PLL hardware block in the FPGA, which leaves me with the question: Do I believe the simulation or the handbook?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Simulations show that phasedone only goes inactive(low) for half a clock cycle of scanclk. I imagine that the simulation shows the behaviour of a model of the PLL hardware block in the FPGA, which leaves me with the question: Do I believe the simulation or the handbook?  

--- Quote End ---  

Expect that phasedone can be processed in a state machine running at scanclk, keeping the handbook timing specification.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With Cyclone III and IV, I see phase_done one slightly smaller than one scanclk cycle, means the handbook is basically correct.

0 Kudos