FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5984 Discussions

FIR Compiler v9.1 simulation trouble

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm currently tasked with FPGA design on an Altera EP3C25F256I7N part. we're considering buying a license for the Megafunction FIR Complier v9.1. I'm trying to evaluate the performance of this module but haven't been able to simulate with ModelSim. Is this expected? If we purchase a license will we be able to simulate with ModelSim then? 

Here is what I'm seeing. I'm working with Quartus II Version 9.1 Web Edition with Service Pack 2 installed. 

If I enable simulation with my project by navigating Quartus to Assignments->EDA Tool Settings…->Simulation and set Tool name: to ModelSim-Altera. Once I compile my project, at the EDA Netlist Writer task, errors result. I've entered example text below. If the above mentioned setting is set to "none" my project compiles fine. I can program a target via JTAG and see that it seems to be working.  

Error: Can't generate net list output file because the file "Z:/Documents/Li7800 Development/Li6800_fir_test/megafunction/fir_complier-library/mr_accum_wr.v" is an OpenCore Plus time-limited file 

… 

… 

Many more like the error above 

… 

… 

Error: Can't generate net list output file because the license for encrypted file "Z:/Documents/Li7800 Development/Li6800_fir_test/megafunction/fir_complier-library/mr_accum_wr.v" is not available 

… 

… 

Many more like the error above 

Has anyone used the Megafunction FIR compiler v9.1 and been able to simulate with it? Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can simulate the IP itself without a license by following the instructions in the User Guide. you will not be able to run EDA Netlist Writer to create a gate level netlist for simulation without purchasing the IP